[Air-L] Content Analysis of Historical Tweet Set

f hodgkins frances.hodgkins at gmail.com
Tue May 22 19:22:52 PDT 2018

All-
I am working on a qualitative content analysis of a historical tweet set
from CrisisNLP from Imran et al.,(2016).
http://crisisnlp.qcri.org/lrec2016/lrec2016.html
I am using the California Earthquake dataset. The Tweets have been stripped
down to the Day/Time/ Tweet ID and the content of the Tweet. The rest of
the Twitter information is discarded.

I am using is NVIVO- known for its power for content analysis --

However - I am finding NVIVO unwieldy for a data of this size (~250,000
tweets). I wanted each unique Tweet to function as its own case. But -
Nvivo would crash everytime.  I have 18G RAM and a Raid Array.
I do not have a server - although I could get one.

I am working and coding side by side in Excel and in NVIVO with my data in
10 large sections of .csv files, instead of individual cases- and this is
working (but laborious).

QUESTION:  Do you have any suggestions for software for large-scale content
analysis of Tweets?  I Do not need SNA capabilities.

Thank you very much,
Fran Hodgkins
Doctoral Candidate (currently suffering through Chapter 4)
Grand Canyon University
USA