[Air-L] Public Seminar: ‘Jobs in the Data Industrial Complex: Four Stories from the Field’

Scott Rodgers rodgers_scott at hotmail.com
Tue May 29 05:15:41 PDT 2018

Jobs in the Data Industrial Complex: Four Stories from the Field

Professor Vicki Mayer, Tulane University

Friday 8 June 2018, from 6pm

School of Arts, Birkbeck, University of London

43 Gordon Square

Room B04

London

WC1H 0PD

Register here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/jobs-in-the-data-industrial-complex-four-stories-from-the-field-tickets-46519292456

Abstract

What Would Google Do? This is the question that government managers, educational administrators, and business leaders have pondered for nearly twenty years of data center development and innovation marketing in Groningen, the Netherlands. In 2014, this question became public when Google formally announced it would expand there by building its largest data center in Western Europe. Since then, I have been following the stories of Google’s coming. In this talk, I offer the infrastructural prehistory of these cloud dreams, followed by three perspectives on what Google does.

This event is part of Data Materiality<http://www.publiclysited.com/data-materiality-collaborative-birmacvasari-project/>, a three-year collaborative project co-sponsored by the Birkbeck Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Media and Culture<http://www.bbk.ac.uk/birmac/>, and the Vasari Centre for Art and Technology<http://www.bbk.ac.uk/vasari/>.