[Air-L] cases in which data-driven decision-making went awry

Stefaan Verhulst SVerhulst at markle.org
Mon May 14 15:10:08 PDT 2018

Perhaps of interest: I make reference to a few “bad data cases” in my short presentation on "why we should care about bad data” available at : http://thegovlab.org/why-we-should-care-about-bad-data/
There are also a few “challenging data case studies” at http://odimpact.org/ e.g. http://odimpact.org/case-united-states-eightmaps.html

On May 14, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Sheryl Grant <sherylgrant at gmail.com<mailto:sherylgrant at gmail.com>> wrote:

I apologize in advance that this is an imperfectly phrased query.

In short, I'm looking for literature about terrible data governance and
related issues. Basically, what happens when there are errors in automated
data systems, how those errors might have occurred, and what institutions
do (or don't) when they discover those errors. Ideally, cases would
describe the technical bits as well as the human choices made.

Another way to say it is that my colleagues and I are looking for
investigations into data-driven decision-making gone awry.

I've read Kathy O'Neill's Weapons of Math Destruction, which was excellent,
and now I'm looking for more specific cases, if they exist.

Thanks,

Sheryl Grant