[Air-L] Articles on Facebook Groups

Tarleton L. Gillespie tlg28 at cornell.edu
Wed May 23 08:15:00 PDT 2018

Just saw this, not research, but relevant:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/21/17370066/facebook-addiction-support-groups-rehab-patient-brokering

Tarleton

On 5/23/18, 11:13 AM, "Air-L on behalf of Azi Lev-On" <air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org on behalf of azilevon at gmail.com> wrote:

     Hi Kat

    Nili Steinfeld and myself just publised a piece in Social Science Computer
    Review analyzing activity in Facebook groups dedicated to "miscarriage of
    justice" campaigns calling for justice for (arguably) innocent people who
    were wrongly convicted. See the abstract below.
    Link: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0894439318771523

    Best, Azi.

    Social media constitute useful and effective platforms for miscarriage of
    justice campaigners to
    challenge state authorities and decisions taken by the criminal justice
    system. To characterize
    such endeavors, this study analyzes the activity in such a major group
    dedicated to the murder
    case of Tair Rada and the trial of Roman Zadorov, one of the most
    controversial legal cases in
    Israel’s history. Using digital data extraction and linguistic analysis
    tools, we focus on five
    themes: (1) the central role of group administrators in directing the
    discourse and setting the
    group agenda; (2) correspondence of group activity with off-line events and
    mainstream media
    coverage; (3) skewed distribution of post publications per user and
    engagement measures per
    post; (4) prominent topics in group discussions, revolving around key
    figures, institutions and
    officials, making justice, considering alternative theories and examining
    investigative and forensic
    materials; and (5) the framing of key figures, institutions, and values in
    portraying a somewhat
    dichotomous image of a corrupted justice system, an innocent man wrongly
    convicted and a
    Facebook group in the search for the truth.

    Message: 3