[Air-L] Recruiting Doctoral Students, PhD in Information, University of Arizona School of Information

Catherine Brooks cbrooks4 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 13:44:58 PST 2018

Recruiting Doctoral Students, PhD in Information, University of Arizona School of Information

The School of Information is accepting applications for the PhD program, for the incoming fall 2019 cohort. We are seeking students with interests in machine learning, natural language processing, text retrieval, virtual/mixed reality, or game development/design.

Preferred incoming doctoral students for the fall 2019 cohort will bring strong computational skills. Having advanced object-oriented programming skills, experience with machine learning toolkits such as scikit-learn or Keras, or experience with widely used real-time development platforms such as Unity, would be a plus. Instructional experiences are also beneficial, and should be highlighted in application materials, but are not required. Funded positions will be available for select graduate students, those students will receive tuition remission and a stipend in exchange for research- related, grant support, or instructional work.

The School of Information is an academic unit in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Arizona, Arizona’s only public land grant university. The School’s mission: “As Arizona’s iSchool, we collaborate across disciplines, drive critical research and development, and educate the information intellectuals and professionals of tomorrow to further positive social change that is rooted in the places where we live and that impacts the world.”

The school and the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences are dedicated to creating a serious, open, free intellectual space for inquiry, one in which faculty, students, staff members, and community partners can participate fully, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, citizenship status, size, abled status, language, religion, or any other characteristic. Strategically positioned to lead the University of Arizona’s status as a Hispanic Serving Institution, SBS foregrounds our awareness of the deep ancestral footprint of our region’s populations and cultures, including the Tohono O’odham and Pascua Yaqui people whose lands we inhabit. We honor diverse knowledge traditions and lived experiences, and we strive to foster accessibility and equity, the conditions in which our members together can produce new, rigorous, urgent, and evidence-based knowledge

For more Information, please see: https://ischool.arizona.edu/phd-information.

With quick questions about the applicant process or application materials, feel free to reach out to our administrative support team through Barbara Vandervelde, barbv at email.arizona.edu.