[Air-L] University of Washington’s Allen School Seeking New PhD Students for Research in Universal Internet Access and Community Networking

Yosem Companys ycompanys at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 19:15:35 PST 2018

From: Kurtis Heimerl <kheimerl at cs.washington.edu>

Apologies for the wide posting but I feel like these lists have the
kind of people we're looking for! Feel free to forward on if there are
other communities that could be interested.

*****

The ICTD Research Group at the University of Washington’s Allen School
of Computer Science and Engineering (http://ictd.cs.washington.edu/)
is seeking qualified students, both from the US and abroad, with an
interest in universal internet access and community networking to
apply to the PhD program in computer networking. The ICTD group, led
by Professors Kurtis Heimerl and Richard Anderson, has long worked on
the problems of Universal Internet Access internationally, with
deployments and projects in both the rural Philippines (in partnership
with the University of the Philippines) and Indonesia (in partnership
with Ob Anggen). As our research shifts to wide-area LTE networks and
the infrastructure of repair, we want to find more motivated and
passionate students with interest and capacity in the space. There is
a particular interest in students with personal experience with hard
connectivity problems.

If interested, please visit the UWCSE admissions page
(https://www.cs.washington.edu/academics/phd). All students admitted
to the Allen School Ph.D. program are guaranteed funding for 3 years
in the form of a research assistantship, teaching assistantship or
fellowship. All or most of the cost of tuition is covered by the
assistantship or fellowship. If you have any questions, please direct
them to Professor Kurtis Heimerl <kheimerl at cs.washington.edu>.

A little about the University of Washington’s Allen School of Computer
Science and Engineering: Consistently ranked among the top computer
science programs in the world, the Paul G. Allen School of Computer
Science & Engineering educates tomorrow's innovators and engages in
research that advances core and emerging areas of the field. We also
lead a broad range of multi-disciplinary initiatives that demonstrate
the transformative power of computing and are nationally recognized
for our success in promoting diversity. We are located in the
spectacular Paul G. Allen Center for Computer Science & Engineering at
the heart of the University of Washington campus in Seattle — a center
of innovation in software, life sciences, global health, aerospace,
and many other fields — where Allen School faculty, students, and
alumni are making an impact and changing the world.

--
Public Key: https://flowcrypt.com/pub/kheimerl@cs.washington.edu