[Air-L] My Book is Out! _Delayed Response: The Art of Waiting from the Ancient to the Instant World_

Jason Farman jasonfarman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 09:18:02 PST 2018

Hi AoIR List,
I wanted to share the exciting news that my book has been released! Today
you can check out *Delayed Response: The Art of Waiting from the Ancient to
the Instant World,* published through Yale University Press. Here's the
link to the hardcover and the audiobook:

https://www.amazon.com/Delayed-Response-Waiting-Ancient-Instant/dp/0300225679/

*Delayed Response is a celebration of waiting throughout history, its
importance for connection, understanding, and intimacy in human
communication.*

Below is the book's longer description:

We have always been conscious of the wait for life-changing messages,
> whether it be the time it takes to receive a text message from your love,
> for a soldier’s family to learn news from the front, or for a space probe
> to deliver data from the far reaches of the solar system. In this book in
> praise of wait times, award-winning author Jason Farman passionately argues
> that the delay between call and answer has always been an important part of
> the message.
>
> Traveling backward from our current era of Twitter and texts, Farman shows
> how societies have worked to eliminate waiting in communication and how
> they have interpreted those times’ meanings. Exploring seven eras and
> objects of waiting—including pneumatic mail tubes in New York, Elizabethan
> wax seals, and Aboriginal Australian message sticks—Farman offers a new
> mindset for waiting. In a rebuttal to the demand for instant communication,
> Farman makes a powerful case for why good things can come to those who wait.

Best,
Jason
--
Jason Farman, Ph.D.
Director, Design Cultures & Creativity Program