[Air-L] RIP Ben Bates

Radhika G gradhika2012 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 04:24:37 PST 2018

Sad to hear about Ben.

Steve says "I think one of the reasons we lose words in the English
language, and perhaps in other languages, too, may be that we lose people
who embody them and so we use them less and less often. "

Agreed - but I would extend it to say this is true of all languages - and
of metaphors, sayings and practices - when we lose someone we lose a part
of the community memory - but also a particular way of doing things and
ways of being.

___
Radhika Gajjala
Co-editor of ADA: Journal of Gender and New Media (adanewmedia.org)

Professor,
School of Media and Communication
and
American Culture Studies Program