[Air-L] Short internet ethnography suggestions

Lisa Silvestri lisaesilvestri at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 07:13:42 PST 2018

This article uses both online and off-line field research methods:

“Shiny Happy People Holding Guns: 21st Century Images of War.” Visual
Communication Quarterly,

20.2 (2014): 106-118.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 7:01 AM Keith Hampton <
keith.hampton at mysocialnetwork.net> wrote:

> I would suggest Jeff Lane's soon to be released ethnography "Digital
> Street" on young people in Harlem. An extensive online/offline ethnography
> based on five years of observations, dealing with poverty, gangs, violence,
> dating and more. https://amzn.to/2RYqamh
>
> He published a journal article, early observations that does a nice job of
> explaining the need for why ethnography of digital subjects needs offline
> components:
>
> https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0002764215601711?journalCode=absb
>
> Keith
>

> > Message: 4
> > Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 12:07:33 +0000
> > From: Eleanor Marchant <eleanor.marchant at csls.ox.ac.uk>
> > To: aoir list <air-l at aoir.org>
> > Subject: [Air-L] Short internet ethnography suggestions
> >
> CWXP265MB12700FCCE53BDCE7EC9D128C8EDC0 at CWXP265MB1270.GBRP265.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM

> > Hi Everyone!
> >
> > I have agreed to teach a guest lecture on ethnography for a friend's
> > undergraduate research method course and I'm wondering if people in this
> > group might have suggestions for a really great reading. I really want to
> > give them a reading that is itself an ethnography (rather than being a
> > piece about ethnography or how to do it), and that deals with some aspect
> > of technology or internet and society, perhaps incorporating both online
> > and offline ethnographic methods. Perferably something published in the
> > last 8 years to keep it contemporary. I have tons of favorite
> ethnographic
> > pieces in this vein, but the problem is most of them tend to be books
> and I
> > don't think you can get a good feel for these works by just reading one
> > chapter. So does anyone have suggestions about short readings, perhaps, a
> > journal article, that fit the bill?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
> >
> > Eleanor
> >

> > ELEANOR R MARCHANT PHD
> >
> > ConflictNET<
> >
> https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/research-and-subject-groups/politics-and-practice-social-media-conflict-conflictnet
> >
> > Postdoctoral Fellow
> >
> > Programme in Comparative Media Law & Policy
> >
> > Centre for Socio-Legal Studies
> >
> > University of Oxford
> >
> > Tw: @ermarchant<https://twitter.com/ermarchant>
> >

> --

> *Keith N. Hampton, Ph.D.*
> *Professor, Department of Media and Information*
> *Director for Academic Research, Quello Center*
> *Affiliate Faculty, Department of Sociology*
> www.mysocialnetwork.net
> www.twitter.com/mysocnet

The greatest of all mistakes is to do nothing, because you think you can
only do a little.