[Air-L] Funded PhD student opportunities at the School of Information Sciences at Illinois (online info session on Oct 10)

Diesner, Jana jdiesner at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 9 07:54:30 PDT 2018

We invite applications from highly motivated students from all backgrounds to join our world-renowned research and scholarship program at the School of Information Sciences, the iSchool at Illinois. Our PhD program in Library and Information Science is the oldest existing LIS doctoral program in the U.S. with over 240 graduates. Recent graduates from our PhD program have become faculty members at institutions such as the University of Michigan, University of Washington, University of Maryland, and UCLA, professionals at Baidu and Google, and academic library professionals at the Library of Congress, Princeton University, and the University of Chicago.

We guarantee up to four years of funding in the form of research, teaching, and service assistantships, including tuition waivers and stipends. We also offer travel support for our PhD students. Students receive one-on-one mentorship from faculty with a global reputation for excellence in scholarship and high impact science. The School's flexible program ensures that each student is provided with the intellectual guidance and experiences necessary to prepare them for vibrant research careers in a wide range of academic, business, and government settings.

We highly value interdisciplinary work at our school. Our faculty and students conduct exciting research on a broad range of topics:

* Community informatics

* Data curation

* Data science

* Digital archives and libraries

* Digital humanities

* Health and bioinformatics

* History of information

* Human-centered data science, Computational social science

* Human-computer interaction, User experience, Computer supported cooperative work

* Information access

* Information literacy

* Information policy, privacy, security, and ethics

* Information retrieval

* Information visualization

* Informetrics

* Libraries and librarianship

* Machine learning

* Natural language processing, Text mining, Text analysis

* Network science

* Organization of knowledge and information

* Scientific data and knowledge practices

* Youth services and digital youth

For more on our vision see http://ischool.illinois.edu/research/vision

For more about our faculty visit http://ischool.illinois.edu/people/faculty

APPLICATION

To apply, go to https://ischool.illinois.edu/degrees-programs/phd-library-and-information-science/apply

This page also contains detailed information about the application process and the link for submitting your application.

Application deadline is Saturday, December 01, 2018, at 11:00 p.m., Central Time.

We especially encourage domestic students from historically and statistically underrepresented minority groups to apply.

MORE INFORMATION AND ONLINE INFORMATION SESSION

For additional information about our PhD program, see http://ischool.illinois.edu/academics/degrees/phd or contact ischool-phd at illinois.edu<mailto:ischool-phd at illinois.edu>

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018, from 8:00-9:00 a.m. Central Time, we will host an online information session about our PhD degree in Library and Information Science. During the session, the program director, iSchool faculty, staff and a current PhD student will answer questions and provide information about our PhD program. Login instructions are below.

ONLINE: http://go.ischool.illinois.edu/phd_info_session, please type your name and click "Join Session".

Blackboard Collaborate Instructions: http://help.blackboard.com/Collaborate/Ultra/Participant/Get_Started/Navigation

If you have questions or problems with regard to participation, please contact our Help Desk:

help at support.ischool.illinois.edu<mailto:help at support.ischool.illinois.edu>, +1-217-244-4903 or +1-800-377-1892.

For additional information about the online information session: https://ischool.illinois.edu/news-events/events/2018/09/26/virtual-information-session-phd-library-and-information-science

For questions, please contact Dr. Jana Diesner, PhD Program Director, at jdiesner at illinois.edu<mailto:jdiesner at illinois.edu>

Jana Diesner, PhD