[Air-L] Literature on Networks and Online Health Communities

Юрий Рыков rykyur at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 01:53:47 PDT 2018

Hi Benjamin,

There is my list of references on the topic (in alphabetical order):

Carron-Arthur, B., Cunningham, J. A., & Griffiths, K. M. (2014). Describing
the distribution of engagement in an Internet support group by post
frequency: A comparison of the 90-9-1 Principle and Zipf’s Law. Internet
Interventions, 1(4), 165–168. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.invent.2014.09.003

Carron-Arthur, B., Reynolds, J., Bennett, K., Bennett, A., Cunningham, J.
A., & Griffiths, K. M. (2016). Community Structure of a Mental Health
Internet Support Group: Modularity in User Thread Participation. JMIR
Mental Health, 3(2), e20. https://doi.org/10.2196/mental.4961

Centola, D. (2010). The Spread of Behavior in an Online Social Network
Experiment. *Science*, *329*(5996), 1194–1197.
https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1185231

Chen, L., & Shi, J. (2015). Social support exchanges in a social media
community for people living with HIV/AIDS in China. AIDS Care, 27(6),
693–696. https://doi.org/10.1080/09540121.2014.991678

Chomutare, T., Årsand, E., Fernandez-Luque, L., Lauritzen, J., &
Hartvigsen, G. (2013). Inferring Community Structure in Healthcare Forums:
An Empirical Study. Methods of Information in Medicine, 52(2), 160–167.
https://doi.org/10.3414/ME12-02-0003

Chung, J. E. (2014). Social Networking in Online Support Groups for Health:
How Online Social Networking Benefits Patients. Journal of Health
Communication, 19(6), 639–659. https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2012.757396

Cobb, N. K., Graham, A. L., & Abrams, D. B. (2010). Social Network
Structure of a Large Online Community for Smoking Cessation. American
Journal of Public Health, 100(7), 1282–1289.

Coursaris, C. K., & Liu, M. (2009). An analysis of social support exchanges
in online HIV/AIDS self-help groups. Computers in Human Behavior, 25(4),
911–918. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2009.03.006

Graham, A. L., Zhao, K., Papandonatos, G. D., Erar, B., Wang, X., Amato, M.
S., … Pearson, J. L. (2017). A prospective examination of online social
network dynamics and smoking cessation. PLOS ONE, 12(8), e0183655.
https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0183655

Gruzd, A., & Haythornthwaite, C. (2013). Enabling Community Through Social
Media. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 15(10), e248.
https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2796

Himelboim, I., & Han, J. Y. (2014). Cancer Talk on Twitter: Community
Structure and Information Sources in Breast and Prostate Cancer Social
Networks. Journal of Health Communication, 19(2), 210–225.
https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2013.811321

Maloney-Krichmar, D., & Preece, J. (2005). A Multilevel Analysis of
Sociability, Usability, and Community Dynamics in an Online Health
Community. ACM Trans. Comput.-Hum. Interact., 12(2), 201–232.
https://doi.org/10.1145/1067860.1067864

Meylakhs, P., Rykov, Y., Koltsova, O., & Koltsov, S. (2014). An
AIDS-Denialist Online Community on a Russian Social Networking Service:
Patterns of Interactions With Newcomers and Rhetorical Strategies of
Persuasion. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(11), e261.
https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.3338

Murthy, D., Gross, A., & Oliveira, D. (2011). Understanding Cancer-Based
Networks in Twitter Using Social Network Analysis. In 2011 Fifth IEEE
International Conference on Semantic Computing (ICSC) (pp. 559–566).
https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSC.2011.51

Myneni, S., Cobb, N. K., & Cohen, T. (2017). Content-specific network
analysis of peer-to-peer communication in an online community for smoking
cessation. AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings, 2016, 934–943.

Myneni, S., Cobb, N., & Cohen, T. (2016). In Pursuit of Theoretical Ground
in Behavior Change Support Systems: Analysis of Peer-to-Peer Communication
in a Health-Related Online Community. Journal of Medical Internet
Research, 18(2), e28. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.4671

Myneni, S., Fujimoto, K., Cobb, N., & Cohen, T. (2015). Content-Driven
Analysis of an Online Community for Smoking Cessation: Integration of
Qualitative Techniques, Automated Text Analysis, and Affiliation
Networks. American Journal of Public Health, 105(6), 1206–1212.
https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302464

Rykov, Y. G., Meylakhs, P. A., & Sinyavskaya, Y. E. (2017). Network
Structure of an AIDS-Denialist Online Community: Identifying Core Members
and the Risk Group. American Behavioral Scientist, 61(7), 688–706.
https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764217717565

Stewart, S. A., & Abidi, S. S. R. (2012). Applying Social Network Analysis
to Understand the Knowledge Sharing Behaviour of Practitioners in a
Clinical Online Discussion Forum. Journal of Medical Internet Research,
14(6), e170. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.1982

Tang, X., & Yang, C. C. (2010). Identifing influential users in an online
healthcare social network. In 2010 IEEE International Conference on
Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI) (pp. 43–48).
https://doi.org/10.1109/ISI.2010.5484779

van Mierlo, T. (2014). The 1% Rule in Four Digital Health Social Networks:
An Observational Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(2), e33.
https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2966

Wang, X., Shi, J., Chen, L., & Peng, T.-Q. (2016). An Examination of Users’
Influence in Online HIV/AIDS Communities. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and
Social Networking, 19(5), 314–320. https://doi.org/10.1089/cyber.2015.0539

Zhao, K., Greer, G. E., Yen, J., Mitra, P., & Portier, K. (2014). Leader
identification in an online health community for cancer survivors: a social
network-based classification approach. Information Systems and E-Business
Management, 13(4), 629–645. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10257-014-0260-5

Zhao, K., Wang, X., Cha, S., Cohn, A. M., Papandonatos, G. D., Amato, M.
S., … Graham, A. L. (2016). A Multirelational Social Network Analysis of an
Online Health Community for Smoking Cessation. Journal of Medical Internet
Research, 18(8), e233. https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.5985

Hope it would be useful for your work.

Best regards,
Yuri

On Wed, 17 Oct 2018 at 01:28, Sugar, Benjamin N <bsugar at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> There is a fair amount of work on interactions in these communities
> between individuals and the group as a collection of individuals.  There is
> also a lot of work on networks and expertise communities (e.g. Q&A,
> wikipedia, open source software lists), but as some of the aforementioned
> work points out, expertise in OHC’s are only part of the dynamics.
>
> Any recommendations on papers that address networks and online health
> communities?
>
> Benjamin

Yuri Rykov
PhD, Research Fellow at Centre for Population Health Sciences
LKC Medicine, Nanyang Technological University