[Air-L] Deepwater Horizon oil spill tweets?

Glen.Fuller Glen.Fuller at canberra.edu.au
Wed Oct 31 15:46:29 PDT 2018

HI Peter,

Does the student need more than can be accessed via Twitter's advanced search through the native web app?
https://twitter.com/search?q=from%3ABP_America%20since%3A2010-04-19%20until%3A2010-04-30&src=typd&lang=en

No tweets on day (at least, none that remain in archive).

For few days before spill began through rest of year:
https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=from%3ABP_America%20since%3A2010-04-18%20until%3A2010-12-31&src=typd&lang=en

Tweet IDs can be collected using simple scripts (I've used Outwit Hub for various projects). http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1329878X18766081?journalCode=miad  Then follow Benjamin Sugar's method for rehydrating. (Thanks!)

The Starbird et al paper suggests there are up to 20k tweets per day to the #oilspill hashtag which is too much volume for this scrape-ID method to use as a way of doing repeated searches delimited by a sequence of adjacent date ranges. The upper limit I've found is around 2500 tweets per day using OWH.

Cheers,
Glen