[Air-L] Data privacy via the WTO?

Helen Kennedy h.kennedy at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Sep 3 11:48:23 PDT 2018

Hello all

In relation to an early question in this thread about how people will
exercise their data rights, colleagues here at Sheffield explored this
issue on a project covering 10 countries and 184 organisations, in which
expert post-docs attempted to access their data rights. In 20% of cases, it
was not possible to locate the data controller; in 43%, data was not
disclosed; in 56%, no adequate response about data sharing was received.
See:

   - https://www.springer.com/gb/book/9783319475714
   -
   https://www.dhi.ac.uk/san/waysofbeing/data/governance-crone-l'hoiry-2015.pdf
   .

In relation to the 'how-do-people-feel-about-what-happens-to-their-data'
question, despite the projects shared in this thread and others emerging
elsewhere, there is still a huge absence of knowledge about this which has
been produced through methodologically rigorous empirical research, in my
view. Here are some things I (& others) have said on the topic:

   - Kennedy, H. (2018) ‘Living with data: aligning data studies and data
   activism through a focus on everyday experiences of datafiction’, *Krisis:
   journal for contemporary philosophy, *http://krisis.eu/living-with-data/.
   - Kennedy, H., Elgesem, D. and Miguel, C. (2015) ‘On fairness: user
   perspectives on social media data mining,’ *Convergence*, DOI:
   10.1177/1354856515592507.

Best wishes

Helen