[Air-L] Earn a Social Network Analysis Certificate from the Social Media Research Foundation w/ Gratis Access to DiscoverText, NodeXL, Cronycle and more

Jacob Groshek jgroshek at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:45:06 PDT 2018

Dear Colleagues,

Dr. Marc Smith and I are pleased to announce that we will be offering a
social media workshop next month in an incredible new location in Boston.
A summary of details follow, but please visit our website to learn more and
to register.  Use the promo code SOCIAL to get 20% before September 30 :)

https://www.sodanalytics.com/workshop.html

The Social Media Methods Workshop: New Tools for New Media is a two day
event that provides participants the ability to collect social media data
at scale and learn to perform social network analysis using a series of
leading software platforms and computational tools, such as DiscoverText
<https://discovertext.com/>, NodeXL
<https://www.nodexlgraphgallery.org/Pages/Default.aspx>, Gephi,
<https://gephi.org/> Cronycle <https://cronycle.com/>, and Canvs
<https://www.canvs.ai/>, among others.

The skills acquired in this workshop will train you to *identify
influential users* in social media as well as indicators of *content and
sentiment* around specific topics.  By the conclusion of this deep dive
into social media data, you will have practical, real-world training for
these in-demand abilities:

   - Collect social media data into large datasets for analysis;
   - Code, validate, and adjudicate human decisions about social media
   content;
   - Use human coding to train machine learning to code content at scale;
   - Graph networks of users to visualize human network structures;
   - Model networks of concepts to visual semantic network structures;
   - Measure sentiment in big data with humans and/or machines;
   - Develop appropriate analytic techniques to mine data for significant
   patterns;
   - Leverage algorithmic filtering to better inform both academic research
   and business decisions;
   - Carry out original analyses that present visual data with efficiency,
   informativeness, and novelty.

Just as importantly, prior to attending, participants do not need any
proficiency in programming, coding, statistics, or quantitative /
computational research methods.  We teach you *what you need to know*
and *provide
free access* to leading software platforms in order to make sense of the
complex social media environment.

When you complete your training with our experts in historic Boston,
Massachusetts from October 19-20, 2018 you will leave with a Certificate in
Social Network Analysis from the Social Media Research Foundation.
<https://www.smrfoundation.org/>  Just as importantly, you will have the
knowledge and capacity to explore millions of units of social media users
and posts.  This includes, but is not limited to, selecting the best
algorithms to apply to model influence and create informative models that
address specific research and business questions.

Though space is limited, we do offer competitive tiered pricing at the
following levels:

   - Commercial - $999
   - Academic - $649
   - Student - $399
   - Group rates - contact us <https://www.sodanalytics.com/contact.html>

Please feel free to message me directly with any questions - we hope to see
you there :)

Thanks,

Jacob
--
Dr. Jacob Groshek
Associate Professor of Emerging Media Studies

Founding Editor, *Journal of Communication and Technology
<http://www.joctec.org/>*
Founding Member, Boston Civic Media Consortium <http://bostoncivic.media/>
Previously: Research Fellow, Erasmus Uni
<http://www.eshcc.eur.nl/english/research/research_centres/erasmus_research_centre_for_media_communication_and_culture/>

Full Member, NeSCoR  <http://nescor.socsci.uva.nl/>| Visiting Scholar, IAST
<http://www.iast.fr/>
@jgroshek <https://twitter.com/jgroshek> | google scholar