[Air-L] Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Queer Media & Civic Engagement

Mathias Klang mathiasklang at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:40:56 PDT 2018

The Department of Communication and Media Studies at Fordham University,
The Jesuit University of New York, invites applications for a
tenure-track Assistant Professor , to commence September 1, 2019. The
position will be based at Fordham’s Rose Hill Campus in the Bronx, with
opportunity to contribute to the Lincoln Center campus in Manhattan as
well. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute
pedagogically to one or more of our undergraduate majors in
Communication and Culture, Film and Television, Digital Technology and
Emerging Media, and/or Journalism. The candidate would also have an
opportunity to teach in our M.A. program in Public Media, which has
concentrations in Strategic Communication and Multi-Platform Journalism.

About the Position:

Applicants are sought in the area of queer media and civic engagement.
Candidates can employ any number of methodological and theoretical
approaches to explore the relationships between communication, LGBTQ
communities, and social change, past or present. Humanists or social
scientists who use critical analysis and/or take an engaged
scholar-activist approach to promote social justice are particularly
encouraged to apply.

Requirements:

Ph.D. in Communication, Media Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, or
a related area.
A strong research agenda and publication record.
Ability to teach a variety of courses at the intersection of cultural
studies, gender and sexuality studies, and social movement studies, as
well other courses in the candidate’s particular area of expertise.
Evidence of excellence in teaching.
Commitment to mentoring and advising students
About the Department

Communication and Media Studies is an interdisciplinary department at
Fordham’s Bronx and Manhattan campuses serving the largest number of
majors across its five undergraduate programs, and approximately twenty
graduate students a year in its one-year Public Media Masters degree.
 From high technology to everyday interactions, Fordham’s Department of
Communication and Media Studies critically and independently turns its
attention to the connective tissue between past and present,
historically grounding old and new media through ethically-infused
teaching and research.  We advocate the model of the publically-engaged
scholar and critically-informed practitioner who is civically and
socially reflective and critical through analytical and/or applied
means. Our faculty includes scholars and practitioners from a range of
theoretical and methodological perspectives.

We seek to attract and promote a diverse workforce to maintain the
excellence of the University, and to offer students richly varied
disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.  We believe
that cultural and intellectual diversity is central to the excellence of
our academic program, and strive to create an academic community and
campus culture that attracts and facilitates the development of
promising and diverse teacher-scholars.  As our student body becomes
increasingly diverse, we are especially interested in candidates with
substantive experience and commitment to teaching and mentoring students
from a range of social, cultural and economic backgrounds, and who have
successfully incorporated the research of women and scholars of color
into their courses.

Fordham is located in the heart of New York City, interacting on many
levels with a diverse array of communities and institutions.  Through
research, teaching and service, we are committed to developing and
deepening our connections to the people and organizations around us.

Interested applicants should submit (1) a cover letter with
qualifications, including approach to teaching and scholarship; (2)
curriculum vitae; (3) one writing sample (30 pp maximum); (4) the names
and contact information for three references; and (5) and a one-page
statement that addresses how your teaching, mentoring, research,
scholarship, and/or community service supports Fordham’s commitment to
diversity.

Application materials should be uploaded to interfolio at
apply.interfolio.com/55543.  To ensure full consideration, complete
applications should be received by Friday, October 26, 2018.  Please
apply to only one of our advertised tenure-track positions.  For
questions or additional information, please contact Michelle O’Dwyer at
modwyer at fordham.edu.

Fordham is an independent, Catholic University in the Jesuit tradition
that welcomes applications from all backgrounds. Fordham is an Equal
Opportunity Employer, and women, people of color and people with
disabilities are especially encouraged to apply. Same-sex spouses are
eligible for benefits.

https://cms.blog.fordham.edu/open-position-tenure-track-assistant-professor-in-queer-media-civic-engagement/

--
Mathias Klang