[Air-L] MA Data, Culture and Society, University of Westminster (London) open evening 05/11

Jacob Johanssen johanssenjacob at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 13:32:08 PDT 2018

Dear colleagues, I would be grateful if you could forward this to amy
interested students

*New MA course launching September 2019*

*MA Data, Culture and Society* (University of Westminster)
Information evening

Monday, 5 November
5pm-6.30pm
Room: C2.14, Cavendish Campus
<https://www.westminster.ac.uk/about-us/our-locations/maps-and-directions/cavendish>

We live in an age where almost everything of what we do is connected to
data. Big data and datafication pose great opportunities but also risks for
contemporary societies. This new MA course addresses, explores and
creatively utilises this transformation. We place an emphasis on current
and future technologies and practices such as algorithms, artificial
intelligence, big data, blockchain, data analytics and data mining, the
Internet of Things, and others. This multidisciplinary course is the first
of its kind in the UK in bringing together media / communication studies
and computer science. It combines hands-on and applied approaches with
theoretical learning and critical analysis. It will encourage
collaboration, creative practice, group work and problem-based learning,
with students applying tools and technologies to their own data challenges
and projects, including from their existing professional or cultural,
political, social and economic environments.

More information and free registration here:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/information-evening-ma-data-culture-and-society-tickets-50775228074

The Course Leader Jacob Johanssen can be contacted via
j.johanssen at westminster.ac.uk