[Air-L] Africana: Digital Humanities Institute, May 28-June 11, 2019

Gault, Erika D - (egault) egault at email.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 2 15:18:14 PDT 2019

Hi All,

I am pleased to announce an upcoming Digital Humanities online workshop on data tools and digital methods in Africana Studies through our Center for Digital Humanities at the University of Arizona (see below also). Please share and/or apply if you are interested. More information is available on our website at https://africanadhi.com. Feel free to email me with any questions.  Thanks!
[http://img1.wsimg.com/isteam/stock/WbDjldj]<https://africanadhi.com/>

Africana DHi 2019<https://africanadhi.com/>
Digital Humanities in Black
africanadhi.com

AFRICANA DHi

Call for Applications

DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA, A DIGITAL PROJECT, OR JUST WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT DIGITAL TOOLS FOR DOING AFRICANA STUDIES WORK?

Africana DHi is a three week online workshop to be held from May 28- June 11, 2019 in association with the Center for Digital Humanities at the University of Arizona. During the DHi, which is supported by a National Endowment for the Humanities Institutes in Advanced Topics in the Digital Humanities grant and the CUNY Graduate Center Digital Humanities Research Initiative, participants will explore interdisciplinary, digital humanities research and teaching with DH scholars, develop core computational research skills through online workshops, and begin developing their own digital humanities projects. When participants complete the workshop they will become part of a growing network of distributed digital humanities research institutes, and their reflections will inform the publication of the Spring 2020 Special Issue of Fire!!!, the peer-reviewed digital journal for the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH).

Short courses—or “bootcamps”—that last anywhere from one day to two months are an increasingly popular way to offer intensive training in digital tools and skills over a short period of time; however, these courses are resource-intensive to run, require travel and financial support, and are rarely focused on Africana-centered approaches to the digital humanities. Africana DHi joins the growing list of conferences and summer bootcamps designed specifically for teaching methods and digital tools for the study of African Diaspora histories, cultures, and people.

We seek participants who are post-secondary researchers, professors, independent scholars, library or museum professionals. Applications that propose a specific project will receive first consideration. The workshop will include lessons and materials available on this website, but we will also rely upon each other to share information, skills and knowledge.

Applying

Applications must be received by April 26, 2019. Applicants will be informed of their acceptance by May 6, 2019.

More information and application materials can be found here:http:/africanadhi.com<https://africanadhi.com/> or by contacting the Institute Organizer, Erika Gault at support at africanadhi.com

The Institute is supported by the Center for Digital Humanities at the University of Arizona, the Africana Studies Program in the College of Humanities at the University of Arizona, the Digital Humanities Research Initiative, and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Erika D. Gault, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Africana Studies Program
University of Arizona
Learning Services Building | RM 229
1512 E. First Street, PO Box 210105
Tucson, AZ 85721-0105 -USA