[Air-L] RFID book announcement

Jordan Frith frithjh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 06:13:35 PDT 2019

Hi all,
I'm happy to announce the publication of my new book on *MIT Press. *The
book is called *A Billion Little Pieces: RFID and Infrastructures of
Identification, *and in it I analyze the infrastructures of the Internet of
Things and makes the argument that our world is already filled with
communicative objects; it’s just that many of them are more mundane than we
were led to expect. In particular, I’m interested in exploring just where
so much of the data that shapes the world comes from. I think of it like an
extended form of documentation that looks at how often invisible
technologies of identification shape our world. Hopefully it’s relevant to
some of the great tech comm work you all are doing.  Oh, and it covers a
lot of ground, so there's everything from suway cards to human microchips
to the Mark of the Beast.

I made the first chapter available for free
<https://www.jordanfrith.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Frith_RFIDchapter1.pdf?utm_source=Listserv&utm_medium=email>
on my website, so I hope some of you check it out!  If you have any
questions for me or just want to talk about research, don’t hesitate to
reach out.

Oh, and here's a link to the Amazon page for the full book.
<https://www.amazon.com/Billion-Little-Pieces-Infrastructures-Identification/dp/0262039753>

Thank you!

--
Jordan Frith, Ph.D.