[Air-L] CFP: Social Networking and Communities @ HICSS 2020 (deadline June 15)

Dan Suthers suthers at hawaii.edu
Mon Apr 22 22:43:14 PDT 2019

     CFP: HICSS Social Networking and Communities

     53rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS)
     January 7-10, 2020, Grand Wailea, Maui, Hawaii
     PAPERS DUE: June 15, 2019 (see http://hicss.hawaii.edu/authors/)

We call for papers that investigate social networks and communities
supported and/or complemented by social media and other social
technologies for work, learning, socializing, or economic or political
processes. Papers may address theory, design, practices, use or
evaluation of social technologies. 'Social networks and communities'
refers broadly to social phenomena that may range from fully virtual to
geographically based communities, and includes communnities of inquiry,
interest, or practice; epistemic communities and networked advocacy; as
well as other collective phenomena emerging within networks of individuals.

We solicit papers that examine relationships between social phenomena
and technologies, including how social phenomena are embedded or emerge
within technological settings, how communities use technologies to
further their goals, or how technologies otherwise influence or are
appropriated by social phenomena and entities. Individual actors as the
unit of analysis may also be included as long as communities and
technologies are involved; e.g., how individuals relate to communities
via technologies. We are particularly interested in papers that explore
new models, theories and methods rather than re-applying and repeating
established results.

In order to leverage the interdisciplinary nature of HICSS and enable
dialogue between social and technological disciplines, papers may be
motivated by a broad range of theory-driven or data-driven perspectives
and methods, including for example but not limited to social network
analysis, content analysis, ethnographic investigations, and agent-based
simulations. We particularly encourage papers that:
•    advance our understanding of social network growth, formation,
structure and outcomes through social media;
•    explore how socio-technical affordances relate to social media use
and outcomes;
•    interrogate entanglements of technology and culture in community
settings;
•    examine how information and misinformation spread in social media
and networks, and how algorithms, bots, and social media design affect
this spread;
•    evaluate design of social media technologies and practices for
effective community development and maintenance; and
•    develop theories, models and principles of social media design, use
and outcomes.

Minitrack Co-Chairs:

Dan Suthers (Primary Contact)
Professor, Information and Computer Sciences
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
1680 East West Road, POST 317
Honolulu, HI, 96822 USA
+1(808) 956-3890
Email: suthers at hawaii.edu
Twitter: @dan_suthers

Tonia Sutherland
Assistant Professor, Information and Computer Sciences
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
2550 McCarthy Mall, HL 003B
Honolulu, HI, 96822 USA
Email: tsuther at hawaii.edu