[Air-L] Release, CPT-IAMCR/Internet Policy Review special issue ‘Practicing rights and values in internet policy around the world'

Francesca Musiani francesca.musiani at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 07:11:00 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

We would like to bring your attention to our recently released special
issue - ‘*Practicing rights and values in internet policy around the world,*’
available open access in the Internet Policy Review journal:
https://policyreview.info/articles/analysis/communication-and-internet-policy-critical-rights-based-history-and-future

The special issue includes five papers on internet policy and its impacts
on citizens and consumers in Europe, Australia, the Americas, and Africa.
All were presented in the Communication Policy & Technology (CPT) section
at the International Association for Media and Communication Research
conference, Eugene, Oregon, 2018.

The CPT chairing team also authored an editorial ‘Communication and
internet policy: a critical rights-based history and future’ to situate the
history and current contributions of CPT and IAMCR in relationship to the
field of Internet Policy research. CPT has been a platform for researching
telecommunications policy and infrastructure since 1974 when the section
was formed by Prof. Dallas Smythe from Simon Fraser University, in Canada.
By 1990 “policy” was explicitly added to the section name under the
leadership of Prof. Robin Mansell, now at the London School of Economics
and Political Science (LSE) in the UK. We argue in this editorial that
IAMCR scholars have played an important role in developing a critical
rights-based approach to communication policy and later internet policy.
You can read it at
https://policyreview.info/articles/analysis/communication-and-internet-policy-critical-rights-based-history-and-future#editorial

This special issue aims to specifically cross some of the international and
disciplinary boundaries facing internet policy researchers, and contribute
to the development of internet policies that operate in the public
interest, but also are built upon the legacy of activism and research that
developed in relation to older communication systems.

The *Internet Policy Review* is an open access online journal, founded in
2013, which contributes empirical research, analysis and current affairs
coverage to contemporary debate about media, information technology,
telecommunications and internet governance. The *Internet Policy Review *is
a publication of the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and
Society, based in Berlin, Germany, in partnership with several research
units and institutes across Europe.

We would like to acknowledge the generous support of the section and
working groups fund <https://iamcr.org/swg_fund/sept18> of IAMCR for this
special issue. We would also like to acknowledge the work of our IAMCR
colleagues who generously took part in the open peer review process.

Kind regards,

Aphra, Francesca and Julia

CPT-IAMCR chairing team

--
Francesca Musiani, Ph.D.

Chargée de recherche | Associate Research Professor, CNRS
<http://www.cnrs.fr>
Directrice adjointe | Deputy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
<http://cis.cnrs.fr> [CIS], UPR 2000
Chercheuse associée | Associate Researcher, i3-CSI
<http://www.csi.ensmp.fr/>, MINES ParisTech
Global Fellow, Internet Governance Lab <https://internetgovernancelab.org>,
American University

I'm involved in: CPT <http://iamcr.org/s-wg/section/cp-t>-IAMCR | @PolicyR