[Air-L] Research on federated social media

Christopher Cwynar cwynar at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 11:11:45 PDT 2019

Hi Dorothy,

Robert W. Gehl has been a leader in this area. I would recommend starting
with his essay in Social Media + Society and then reading some of his more
recent work. His 'Alternative Social Media' entry in the SAGE Handbook of
Social Media is also excellent and his piece entitled "The Case for
Alternative Social Media" (with Julie Snyder-Yuly).

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2056305115604338

http://journals.fcla.edu/demcom/article/viewFile/88323/84880

Best,
Chris

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 1:28 PM Dorothy Howard <dhoward at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Has anyone written or know of social research about mainstream social media
> (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr) alternatives, i.e. decentralized and
> federated Social Network Sites such as Bolixo, Diaspora, GNU Social,
> Friendica, Mastodon, MeWe, Pump.io? This seems like an important area, but
> I haven't been able to turn up much.
>
> Best wishes,
> Dorothy Howard

Christopher Cwynar, Ph.D.