[Air-L] history of Plato's Phaedrus as example of moral / media panic?

Agnese Sampietro agsamp at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 23:50:35 PDT 2019

Dear AoIR-L members,

Thank you for this interesting discussion.

One of the first mentions I found of the fragment of Plato’s Phaedrus in
connection with the emergence of technology was in an article written by
December (1993): https://www.december.com/john/papers/pscrc93.txt. He cites
not only Ong but also Havelock and McLuhan. All of them have described the
shift from the active, participatory world of orality to the linear,
static, world of writing. Maybe one of them was the first to mention Plato.
Baumann (1986, like Ong) in "The Written Word: Literacy in Transition",
also mentions Plato.

The reluctance - not to say criticism or panic - about new technology is a
recurrent phenomenon in the history of humanity. Bell wrote on Slate an
entertaining piece on this phenomenon for a general audience, which I
highly recommend
https://slate.com/technology/2010/02/a-history-of-media-technology-scares-from-the-printing-press-to-facebook.html

 Let us know if you find out who opened the box!

Best,

---
Agnese Sampietro
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Universitat Jaume I
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department of European Languages and Cultures
e-mail: sampietr at uji.es
Twitter: @speakabouttech <https://twitter.com/speakabouttech>
Website: https://sites.google.com/view/agnesesampietro

My latest paper: https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1Yh8D1L-nhBhG-