[Air-L] history of Plato's Phaedrus as example of moral / media panic?

Thomas Ball xtc283 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 07:35:43 PDT 2019

Charles-
   Thanks for your followup question. My view is that there exists a strong
tradition among many historians of western civilization, particularly the
English, to truncate world history before the Greeks as being irrelevant.
Thus, in delineating the 'classic' period it is commonly posited as
beginning around 700 BCE with the pre-Socratics. In part, this is driven by
an academic's need to limit the boundaries of their research and
discussion. What complicates things is the extent to which we take
philosophy or history or science as transhistorical categories, and how
much we see those as ways of knowing constituted by discrete textual
traditions/reception traditions where there is a constant, relentless
return to Greek texts as the fountainhead.
FWIW,
Best regards,
Thomas