[Air-L] Tenure Track JOB: USC Annenberg, Communication Networks

Mike Ananny ananny at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 12:01:44 PDT 2019

Hello,

Apologies for the cross-posts, but we're hiring a tenure-track faculty
member at USC Annenberg and I wanted to share the ad (attached, below,
and here
<https://usccareers.usc.edu/job/los-angeles/assistant-or-associate-professor-of-communication-open-rank/1209/12749000>).
Please share broadly and/or consider applying yourself!

Highlights:

  * *Tenure-track position at Assistant or Associate rank*
  * Area =*"Communications networks"*.  Broadly construed, but note:
    "Candidates should have competencies in robust network analysis
    techniques for examining big data from a wide array of communication
    networks. We seek someone who will teach our graduate-level network
    analysis methods courses, so previous graduate teaching experience
    in this area is a definite plus."
  * Review begins *August 16*, open until filled.
  * Note that, at this first stage, all that's required are: cover
    letter, curriculum vitae, samples of recent refereed publications,
    and the *names* of three references.  I.e., *no letters at this
    stage*, only finalists will be asked for reference letters.
  * I'm on the search committee, but the chair is Prof Andrea
    Hollingshead; questions about the search process can be directed to
    Billie Shotlow <shotlow at usc.edu>

Please feel free to forward to particular people, or send me names of
folks you think we should approach to apply, I'm happy to reach out.

Many thanks for your help spreading the news and sending us good people!

     Best,
     -- Mike.

--
*MIKE ANANNY*
+ /BOOK:/ "Networked Press Freedom: Creating Infrastructures for a
| MIT Press <https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/networked-press-freedom>]
+ /Associate Professor of Communication & Journalism/ | Annenberg School
for Communication & Journalism, University of Southern California
+ /Faculty Affiliate/ | Science, Technology, and Society, University of
Southern California
+ /2018-19 Berggruen Fellow at the Center for Advanced Study in the
Behavioral Sciences/ | Stanford University
mike.ananny.org <http://mike.ananny.org> | ananny at usc.edu
<mailto:ananny at usc.edu> | @ananny <http://twitter.com/ananny>

*****

*Assistant or Associate Professor of Communication (OPEN RANK)*

The School of Communication at the USC Annenberg School for
Communication and Journalism seeks to fill a faculty position in theory
development and research in communication networks. The School will hire
the best possible candidate whose scholarship expands the discipline’s
theoretical knowledge of communication networks, whose research will
lead to important insights into communication network processes, and
whose teaching will enlighten and inspire our undergraduate and graduate
students. Exceptional applicants at the Assistant or Associate rank are
encouraged to apply, with a preference for applicants with established
and advanced trajectories.

The ideal candidate should have a Ph.D. in communication or a related
field and demonstrate excellence in at least one programmatic line of
research, address important societal issues and practical real-world
applications. The candidate is expected to help the school continue to
grow our commitment to network scholarship, through research, teaching,
and mentorship. Communication networks are an integral part of almost
all facets of contemporary life including teams and groups,
organizations and institutions, and the global political economy. These
networks connect diverse and global constituencies that differ in terms
of gender, class, race, ethnicity, national origin and other
differences. We seek a colleague whose academic career demonstrates an
interest in a broad array of topics in connectivity such as the semantic
World Wide Web, social and enterprise networks, collaboration networks,
team networks, political mobilizing, network equality, and
crowdsourcing. Candidates should have competencies in robust network
analysis techniques for examining big data from a wide array of
communication networks. We seek someone who will teach our
graduate-level network analysis methods courses, so previous graduate
teaching experience in this area is a definite plus.

The candidate will play a leading role in the Annenberg Networks Network
(ANN) a research center at the Annenberg School that focuses on network
theory and research. This scholar will also be affiliated with the
Annenberg Institute for Diversity and Empowerment to explore the
intersection of communication networks and diversity. We anticipate that
our new colleague will foster collaboration with other academic units
across the University, and with external partners as well.

The Annenberg School is committed to fostering a culture and climate of
tolerance, diversity and inclusion, as is evident in the Schools'
various centers and initiatives (https://annenberg.usc.edu/research).
Consequently, all qualified applicants are encouraged to apply in
accordance with the University's mission to ensure equal opportunity
(see below).

*About the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism*

The USC Annenberg School was established in 1971 with a gift from US
Ambassador Walter Annenberg. It has grown over time to include programs
in both Journalism and Communication, and now houses several important
centers and initiatives (https://annenberg.usc.edu/research). The School
has a long history of collaborating with other academic units, and with
agencies off campus. Interdisciplinary work is highly valued and
expected. The School recently expanded to include a second modern 85,000
square foot building providing more space for public events, for student
work groups and student-faculty meetings. The School has a combined
undergraduate and graduate enrollment of 2200.

*Applicants**
*
To be considered for this position, all candidates must apply via the
USC Employee Recruitment Services website. Submission materials should
include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, samples of recent refereed
publications and the names of three references. Final candidates will be
requested to submit three (3) letters of recommendation. The cover
letter should be addressed to School of Communication Faculty Search,
attention Andrea Hollingshead, Annenberg School of Communication,
University of Southern California, 3502 Watt Way, Suite 305, Los
Angeles, CA 90089-0281. Applicants may direct questions to Billie
Shotlow at (shotlow at usc.edu) or (213-821-2718) regarding the search
process. Materials submitted by regular mail will not be accepted.

Review of applications will commence on August 16, 2019 and continue
until the position is filled or the search closed. Questions or concerns
about the position can be directed to the Chair of the Search Committee,
Andrea Hollingshead at aholling at usc.edu.

USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other
characteristic protected by law or USC policy.

We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with
disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a
reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring
process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100,
or by email at uschr at usc.edu. Inquiries will be treated as confidential
to the extent permitted by law.

USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal
histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los
Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance.

Ph.D in Communication or a related field and demonstrate excellence in
at least one programmatic line of research, address important societal
issues and practical real-world applications.

REQ20077897 Posted Date: 07/31/2019

*****