[Air-L] Call for Contributions:Your Experiences in Decolonizing the Internet’s Languages!

Sneha PP sneha.cisblr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 05:02:02 PDT 2019

Dear All,

Whose Knowledge?, the Oxford Internet Institute, and the Centre for
Internet and Society are creating a State of the Internet’s Languages
report, as baseline research with both numbers and stories, to demonstrate
how far we are from making the internet multilingual. We also hope to offer
some possibilities for doing more to create the multilingual internet we
want. This research needs the experiences and expertise of people who think
about these issues of language online from different perspectives.

We are looking for your experience online to help us tell the story of how
limited the language capacities of the internet are, currently, and how
much opportunity there is for making the internet share our knowledges in
our many different languages. Most importantly: you don’t have to be an
academic or researcher to apply, we particularly encourage people
experiencing these issues in their everyday lives and work to contribute!

*Some of the key questions we’d like you to explore:*

   - How are you or your community using your language online?
   - What do you wish you could create or share in your language online
   that you can’t today?
   - What does content in your language look like online? What exists,
   what’s missing? (you might think about, for example, news, social media,
   education or government websites, e-commerce, entertainment, online
   libraries and archives, self-published content, etc)
   - How and where and using what technologies do you share or create
   content in your language? (you might think about, for example, video,
   audio, writing, social media, digitization…whatever formats, tools,
   processes or websites you use for creating oral, visual, textual, or other
   forms of content.)
   - What is challenging to create or share on your language online? (you
   might think about, for example, access, device usability, platforms,
   websites, apps and other tools, software, fonts, digital literacy, etc when
   developing digital archives, online language resources, or just making any
   presence on the web in general for your language.)

Read the call here: https://cis-india.org/raw/dtil-2019-call

Please share your submissions with us on raw [at] cis-india [dot] org
by *September
2, 2019*
The call is available in Arabic
<https://whoseknowledge.org/initiatives/callforcontributions/#CIS-AR>,
Brazilian
Portuguese,
<https://whoseknowledge.org/initiatives/callforcontributions/#CIS-PT>
English
<https://whoseknowledge.org/initiatives/callforcontributions/#CIS-EN>,
IsiZulu
<https://whoseknowledge.org/initiatives/callforcontributions/#CIS-IZ>,
Spanish,
<https://whoseknowledge.org/initiatives/callforcontributions/#CIS-ES> and
Tamil <https://cis-india.org/raw/dtil-2019-call#ta>.

*Note:* This call for contributions is in a few languages right now, but we
invite our friends and communities to translate into many more! Please
reach out to info (at) whoseknowledge (dot) org with your translations…
thank you!

Please share with your networks,
researchers at work

--