[Air-L] readings for Freshman course on democracy & life online

Jessica Feldman feldman.jm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 10:54:24 PDT 2019

Hello list,

I'm teaching a new class this fall on democracy and "life online" and am
seeking recommendations for English-language readings that are manageable
for first year undergraduates. I'm co-teaching this with a philosopher, who
will assign a lot of democracy theory ... my job is to connect this to
digital tools. Topics range from direct democracy, to (digital)
literacy/education, to open source and participation, to populism, to
algorithmic governance, and many others. I see a lot of recent experiments
and scholarship on these topics; the difficulty is finding something that
explains the terrain to 18 year olds!

This is a course description:
https://my.aup.edu/academics/course-catalog/cm1091fb9/fall-2019?fbclid=IwAR0S-SQ6wq3F56V4RUDlya_GSoGjKI9bKBXcSAKM79R0i3HCPPymm2A3Bco

I'd love thoughts from this list!
Thanks much,
Jessica

Jessica Feldman

Assistant Professor

Department of Global Communications

American University of Paris

https://www.aup.edu/profile/jfeldman

jfeldman at aup.edu

feldman at protonmail.com

feldman.jm at gmail.com

pgp fingerprint: 67F4 11DF EF37 968E 74D4  6450 74E8 EB3C 7731 FF80

She/Hers/Her