[Air-L] Some questions by a student

Scott MacLeod helianth at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 18:38:45 PST 2019

Gohar, Rishi, Tarleton and AoIR,

While your questions and the book Rishi mentions touch on virality, I'd
like to bring up the significance of the metaphor of 'virus' itself to the
idea of meme ... I'm reminded of the rabies virus in these regards, which
infects its host (am thinking, for ex., raccoon) to become aggressive and
thirsty which microscopic virus infection leads the raccoon to bite another
mammal, thus spreading the virus - or meme, perchance. It's a vivid
example.

Here's Dawkins who, I think, coined the word meme re gene in his 1976 book
"The Selfish Gene" (p. 12?) -
"Memes should be regarded as living structures, not just metaphorically but
technically," writes Dawkins in "The Selfish Gene". "When you plant a
fertile meme in my mind, you literally parasitize my brain, turning it into
a vehicle for the meme's propagation in just the way that a virus may
parasitize the genetic mechanism of a host cell. And this isn't just a way
of talking -- the meme for, say, 'belief in life after death' is actually
realized physically, millions of times over, as a structure in the nervous
systems of people all over the world."

I'm not clear in the information age how social media memes could be newly
studied "not just metaphorically but technically," but it's something  MIT
OCW-centric wiki World University & School (in all 7111 known living
languages) would like to examine re developing a single realistic virtual
earth for brain science too -
https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/brain-and-cognitive-sciences/  (anat the
cellular and atomic levels - am thinking Google Street View with time
slider, Maps, Earth with TensorFlow, with avatar bots for species and their
brains). In what ways could we begin to see how ideas in the brain
stimulate neural firing - and with brain wave headsets, and dreadlock EEG
headsets, for example, to begin - and from in front of our computers,
especially? And for example here -
https://twitter.com/hashtag/RealisticVirtualEarthForSTEM?src=hashtag_click .

Cheers, Scott
-