[Air-L] work on "ironic" references to physiognomy in online alt-right groups?

Greenhalgh, Spencer P. spencer.greenhalgh at uky.edu
Thu Dec 12 07:14:16 PST 2019

Hello all,

I am currently in the early stages of a study looking at a Twitter group that frequently employs alt-right discourses and memes. Many of the common discourses/memes (e.g., Pepe the Frog, red pill/blue pill) have received a lot of attention in the literature I’ve collected so far, but there are some other recurring discourses that I’m having more trouble finding context for.

Are any of you aware of (or could point me to folks who might be aware of) work that discusses “ironic” references to physiognomy (i.e., in this case, the idea that facial structure lends insight into a person’s character/personality/intelligence) among the alt-right? In the data I’m currently looking at, this seems to be tied with frequent references to “forehead size”—seemingly as an undesirable characteristic. I can make some educated guesses about where this discourse originated and how it’s used, but I’d like to be able to tie it to others’ observations.

Thanks!

Best,

Spencer

------
Spencer Greenhalgh, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Science
College of Communication and Information
University of Kentucky

spencergreenhalgh.com