[Air-L] JOB vacancy: Policy & Advocacy Manager @ AlgorithmWatch

Kristina Penner | AlgorithmWatch kp at algorithmwatch.org
Wed Dec 18 03:50:20 PST 2019

Dear all,

please find the job vacancy also here: https://algorithmwatch.org/en/jobs/

Best,
Kristina

*AlgorithmWatch is looking for a dedicated and experienced Policy and
Advocacy Manager to join our team in Berlin. Fluency in German and
English required.*

AlgorithmWatch is the leading non-profit research and advocacy
organization in the field of automated decision-making (ADM) and its
relevance to society.

  * *initial contract for 3 years and 20h/week (0,75 to 1 FTE intended,
    depending on organizational development)*
  * *Deadline for applications: Monday, 6 January 2020 at 23h59 CET*
  * *Earliest starting date: 3 February, 2020*

    *Your Role*

As Policy and Advocacy Manager you develop, lead and implement our
overall policy and advocacy strategy related to automated
decision-making systems, in close coordination with the executive board.

The purpose of this role is to take forward AlgorithmWatch’s work on the
governance of automated decision-making (ADM) systems, advocating for
rights-respecting, participatory approaches that enhance the public good
and individuals’ life chances.

You will, together with other members of AlgorithmWatch’s strategic
leadership team and through close and direct engagement with our project
teams and partners, develop policy positions and recommendations on key
issues, and design and execute a strategy to disseminate and foster
adoption of those positions by key decision-makers. Positions and
recommendations will be based on your own analyses and on the results of
AlgorithmWatch’s primary research areas /ADM in the workplace/, /ADM in
the public sector/, /ADM and information intermediaries/ and
/sustainability aspects of ADM systems/.

You identify key forums and processes where policy interventions
from AlgorithmWatch and our partners would have a particular impact, and
coordinate networks with like-minded civil society organizations.
Depending on the outcome of pending funding decisions, you will build a
team of policy experts to expand these activities.

    *What we are looking for*

  * Three to five years’ experience undertaking advocacy focused on
    digital issues, preferably related to so-called Artificial Intelligence.
  * Excellent political judgment, strategic thinking, and the proven
    ability to develop and carry out innovative advocacy strategies.
  * Persuasive oral and written communicator in English and German,
    including ability to write and edit a range of different materials
    including reports, briefing papers, blog posts, and submissions for
    different audiences.
  * Knowledge of relevant German and EU institutions and legislative
    processes, and practical experience in working with policy makers
    and civil society organizations.
  * Knowledge of regulation and governance in one or more of these
    fields: digital rights and policies, public sector, platforms and
    intermediary liability, work and labor, environment & sustainability.
  * Solid organizational and multitasking skills, with an ability to
    meet and prioritize multiple deadlines in a complex and fluid
    environment.
  * Willingness to travel for up to three days at a time on a limited
    number of occasions.

    *What we offer*

  * You work at one of the most interesting NGOs in the field, with a
    network of diverse and leading civil society organizations,
    academics, and policy makers.
  * You enjoy a high level of autonomy and responsibility, reporting to
    the Executive Director.
  * You work in an organization with a multi-disciplinary and growing
    team of highly dedicated and enthusiastic professionals and an open
    work culture.
  * If successful, your work will directly impact the thinking and
    acting of key stakeholders and policy makers on the matter.
  * A workplace in the heart of Berlin.
  * 25 vacation days, flexible, family-friendly working hours, medical
    coverage
  * An initial 3-year part-time contract with 20h/week (0,75 to 1 FTE
    intended, depending on organizational development)
  * Between 45.000 and 51.000 Euros gross salary (full time equivalent),
    commensurate with experience (information about gross salary and net
    income in Germany
    <https://www.iamexpat.de/career/working-in-germany/salary-payslip-german-minimum-wage>)

AlgorithmWatch is committed to a policy of equal treatment and
opportunity in every aspect of our hiring and promotion process and we
welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.

    *How to Apply*

*Deadline: *6 January 2020 (23h59 CET)

Please address the following documents to the attention of Ms Kristina
Penner (as pdf, via email: _jobs at algorithmwatch.org
<mailto:jobs at algorithmwatch.org>_):

  * Cover letter (EN, max. one page) outlining your suitability and
    motivation for the position. It should explicitly reference how your
    profile matches the different job requirements described above
  * Résumé/CV (EN, without photo, max. 3 pages)
  * 2 samples of your work – a policy document, position paper, campaign
    website, press release or similar – accompanied by a brief
    explanation of your role in its creation
  * Relevant documentation and certificates only upon request

Please note that only duly completed applications (cover letter, CV,
work samples) will be considered. Interviews are likely to be scheduled
starting the week of January 13th 2020 in our Berlin office or remotely.

Location is Berlin and regular office presence is assumed; we can
accommodate work from home to some extent. Although we invite non-EU
citizens to apply, as a small and predominantly project-funded
organization we cannot provide financial support for relocation or visa
applications. Please also be aware that you would need to have a work
permit for Germany at the starting date.

Please briefly indicate how you became aware of our job post.

Due to the high volume of applications and limited resources, we will
confirm your application via email and will contact only shortlisted
candidates personally. Thank you in advance for your understanding.

*Privacy and Data Protection*

By sending us your application, you consent to the processing of your
data for the purposes of the application. To learn more about the
protection of your personal data in the application process, please see
our _privacy policy.
<https://algorithmwatch.org/en/privacy/#jobapplications>
_

__

--
Kristina Penner
Referentin der Geschäftsführung/Executive Advisor

https://algorithmwatch.org/
kp at algorithmwatch.org
Tel.: +49 30 99 40 49 000

AW AlgorithmWatch gGmbH