[Air-L] instagramming space and place

martha coe mlc443 at nyu.edu
Thu Feb 21 22:26:19 PST 2019

Hi all,
This looks like a wonderfully active, international community and I am new
here, so I am also jumping on the bandwagon with an introduction and
request for resources.

For my doctoral research, I am looking at the varied ways that
urban-focused instagrammer (sub)cultures narrate, inhabit and experience
space and place through their photographic practices/social media
activities (the research is qualitative, using in-depth interviews and
ethnography). I am also looking at ways that the concept "instagrammable"
has created new avenues and imperatives for city- and community-level
placemaking initiatives.

I would like to know of any recent articles/research dealing with similar
themes; I am especially keen to find out how others have approached
Instagram users' (or other platforms) practices qualitatively. I want to
make sure I'm not overlooking valuable scholarship that maybe hasn't come
across my radar yet, and also to get to know other scholars working in
similar methodological/thematic areas.

Any and all recommendations welcome!

Thanks,
Martha