[Air-L] Grad student seeking interviewees for surveillance project and children project

Nurik, Chloe L chloe.nurik at asc.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 22 13:04:06 PST 2019

Hi all!

I am a PhD/JD student at the Annenberg School for Communication and University of Pennsylvania Law School. I am currently working on two projects that I am seeking interviewees for. I am hoping to conduct telephone/Skype/etc. interviews with academics and experts like yourselves who study surveillance on social media and social media policies for children. The interviews would be conducted in English and uncompensated.

Here is a very brief description of each project:

1) Surveillance of activists on social media

For this project, I am examining surveillance (primarily governmental) of activists and protestors on social media. I’m hoping to conduct interviews to gain a deeper understanding of the technical components of surveillance, connections with law enforcement, role of platforms, regulatory gaps, and impacts on activists.

2) Children & social media policies

For this project, I am examining the impact of self-regulatory social media policies on children, including harm resulting from regulatory gaps in content moderation, privacy, and security online. I’m hoping to conduct interviews to gain a deeper understanding of how children are vulnerable on social media, what regulatory gaps exist, and what policy proposals or initiatives may be explored to better protect children online.

 Would anyone be willing to share their expertise? I am happy to provide more information about the interview process or research topics.

Many thanks!!!!

……………...
Chloé L. Nurik
Levy Scholar, Dual Degree Program
Ph.D. student, Annenberg School for Communication
J.D. candidate, University of Pennsylvania Law School
Chloe.nurik at asc.upenn.edu