[Air-L] Searching for Mentor: Twitter API//Data Collection

Radhika G gradhika2012 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:50:53 PST 2019

Heather thanks for asking that question about python script glitch

I’ve been hitting that too... and some open source discussion around it
seems to be that post Cambridge analytica some access stuff has become more
restrictive.

But I’m sure the coding experts on this list can help out.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 12:43 PM LIAM MONNINGER <lmonninger at ucla.edu> wrote:

> Hi Heather,
>
> I'm not sure if it will serve your purposes, but I found twint (
> https://github.com/twintproject/twint ) quite useful. Supposedly, it is
> able to work around the limitations of the Twitter API via some scraping,
> though I'm not exactly sure how it does so. It's easy to setup and run
> through the command line. And, they're working on a nice looking GUI which
> could make it more interesting to you in terms of longevity and future ease
> of use.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Liam Monninger
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2019, 08:31 Heather Walker <hgabel3 at uic.edu wrote:
>
> > Hello Esteemed Internet Researchers,
> >
> > My name is Heather Walker and I am a PhD candidate at the University of
> > Illinois at Chicago. For my dissertation project, I am taking a
> > netnographic approach looking at Twitter and Instagram data. I applied
> for
> > access to the Twitter API via their developer site, was approved, and now
> > have an access key. I've been trying to learn Python by taking free
> online
> > courses and watching a million youtube videos. However, I hit a snag
> every
> > time and usually can't figure out how to fix it.
> >
> > I also have been using DiscoverText (incredible tool), but have already
> > exceeded the data limit, making continued data collection there
> impossible.
> >
> > I am reaching out via this listserv to see if there are any lovely
> > researchers with experience using the Twitter API to aggregate data who
> may
> > be willing to mentor me? I am working on several manuscripts right now
> > using Twitter data, so can offer co-authorship through the partnership.
> My
> > interests and collected data thus far revolve around disability, rights,
> > access, and civic participation, diabetes cultural groups, social
> movements
> > using hashtags, and social movement hijacking.
> >
> > I am also hoping some of you might know about any potential United-States
> > based workshops that provide hands-on training using big-data digital
> > methods?
> >
> > Thank you for your consideration and shared resources.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Heather Walker
> >
> > --
> > *Heather Walker (Gabel), MS*
> > Disability Studies Ph.D. Candidate (ABD)
> > College of Applied Health Sciences
> > University of Illinois, Chicago
> > hgabel3 at uic.edu : 503.755.7673
> > 1919 W. Taylor Street, Chicago IL

> > http://www.aoir.org/

___
Radhika Gajjala
Managing Editor: Fembot Collective
Co-editor of Ada: Journal of Gender and New Media (adanewmedia.org)

Professor,
School of Media and Communication
and
American Culture Studies Program