[Air-L] Searching for Mentor: Twitter API//Data Collection

Deen Freelon dfreelon at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 07:52:03 PST 2019

Hi all,

Having conducted computational/social media research for the better part
of a decade, it heartens me to see this kind of interest in my area. I
want to do more than wish you all the best of luck in learning how to
analyze these kinds of data, but my time to participate in initiatives
such as those proposed is limited. So let me make a suggestion: someone
should implement an IR-focused Q&A platform like StackOverflow or Quora
to allow subject matter experts to pop in and answer questions at their
leisure with a minimum of overhead. I don't necessarily want to be a
full member of a new group, but I could see myself scanning through a
list of questions every so often to answer the ones I can. From teaching
both R and Python for data analysis, I know that learners frequently run
into stumbling blocks that an expert could fix for them in minutes.

My guess is I'm not the only one who'd be willing to provide answers for
such a site. So if anyone decides to make one, please let the list know.
Best, /DEEN