[Air-L] Inquiry on screen shots

Oliver Haimson oliverhaimson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 17:45:06 PST 2019

Hi all, some colleagues and I wrote a blog post on this topic that may be
of interest:

Ethical use of visual social media content in research publications
<https://ahrecs.com/uncategorized/ethical-use-visual-social-media-content-research-publications>
Oliver L. Haimson, Nazanin Andalibi, and Jessica Pater

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 12:47 PM Charles M. Ess <c.m.ess at media.uio.no>
wrote:

> I'll be eager to hear what others think ...
> the problem with such images is that they are easily identifiable simply
> as images, no matter how careful you may have been to hide the
> identifying texts.  And while some here will argue that since the images
> are (quasi-) publicly available - or are they?  That is, are these drawn
> from open sites or sites that require a login?  If the latter, is there
> any guidance from the Terms of Service as to the use of images?
>
> (Probably forbids them - in which case you then get to enter the
> exciting world of considering violating a ToS for the sake of research
> ...  This is its own domain of discussion, especially vis-a-vis Facebook
> and its recent change in the ToS.  Our national ethics board will not
> give firm guidance either way - i.e., yes, it's o.k / no, it's not o.k.:
> one of our researchers is waiting to hear from the data security agency
> what they think of the matter ...  Any updates on how this is faring in
> the U.S. or elsewhere - i.e., whether or not violating the ToS =
> violating the law?)
>
> So a first question would be - why do you need to provide the images in
> your publication?
> If they are necessary in some form to illustrate your method - o.k., but
> then consider some additional options.
> One would be to ask for consent from the person(s) depicted in the
> image.  Perhaps difficult to do and perhaps not likely to acquire, but
> it is an option some researchers would pursue.
> Alternatively, a common technique is to use software to modify the
> images so that they no longer provide enough data for recognition and
> identification, but still provide enough of an outline to suggest /
> illustrate the point(s).
> I can't give you specific recommendations, but I've seen examples of
> this any number of times at AoIR and other conferences, so perhaps some
> members of the list will have specific suggestions.  Depending on what
> exactly you want to illustrate / demonstrate with the image will
> determine how far and in what ways you can blur out / modify it.
>
> My 2 cents.  Hope others will have additional wisdom, guidance, and
> experience to offer.
>
> and good luck!
> - charles ess
>

> On 27/02/2019 17:35, evelyne wanjiku via Air-L wrote:
> > Greetings members,
> > I am conducting a research on dialogues around revenge pornography on
> social media platforms, fb, Twitter and telegram I am using a discourse
> analysis approach.
> > As part of the analysis, i have picked out several dialogues and screen
> shot them. My question is would it be ok for me to publish screen shots
> from the various platforms? I have taken precaution to disguise/hide the
> names/identities of those commenting.
> > Has anyone engaged in such? And what would be your advice with
> publishing screen shots?
> >
> > Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

> > http://www.aoir.org/

> [...]

Oliver Haimson, Ph.D.
University of Michigan | School of Information
oliverhaimson.com