[Air-L] CfP: Critical Data and Algorithm Studies (Frontiers in Big Data)

Katja Mayer katja.mayer at univie.ac.at
Tue Jan 22 05:00:42 PST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to point your attention to a current call for papers for a
special issue to be published with Frontiers in Big Data entitled
"Critical Data and Algorithm Studies".

Deadlines: 26 March 2019, abstract; 16 September 2019, manuscript.

This special issue is dedicated to bringing together critical expertise
of scientists in data-driven research areas, who reflect their daily
routines, their methods, data sources and the social impact of their
research. We would also like to give space to those experiences coming
from newly established collaborations of computer scientists with social
scientists and humanities’ scholars, moreover with policy makers,
activists, or in citizen science projects. The focus is on the critical
reflection of scientific methods, data sources, modeling, validation,
replication, and review procedures including questions of their impact
regarding social behaviour, power relations, ethics, and accountability,
thus the performative and normative aspects of data science practices.

We welcome your papers to our peer-reviewed Article Collection. Papers
can be original research, reviews, or perspectives, among other article
types. More information:

https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/9570/
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.frontiersin.org_research-2Dtopics_9570_&d=DwMFAg&c=pZJPUDQ3SB9JplYbifm4nt2lEVG5pWx2KikqINpWlZM&r=uXI5O6HThk1ULkPyaT6h2Ws3RKNKSY__GQ4DuS9UHhs&m=6mIaugT4iJb5AOM8KpTYlasiiZKd58KfHip3ebCz6yw&s=d94EkKJF2ufL7aGfanUY5ePTcQnPPGLtjrqdrrm_90o&e=>

  Katja Mayer and Jürgen Pfeffer

***

Frontiers Gold Open Access: If you decide to publish with Frontiers,
your paper will be free to read for everyone. As an Open Access
publisher, Frontiers charges Article Processing Charge for accepted
papers (USD 950 for long articles; USD 450 for shorter ones). If your
institution or grant does not cover Open Access fees, simply apply for a
waiver. There are no financial barriers to publishing with Frontiers.
Frontiers also has 100+ institutional agreements with universities and
research organizations as well as 2 national deals. Submissions will be
judged on originality, interest, clarity, relevance, correctness,
language, and presentation (inter alia) by our editorial board members
(https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/big-data/sections/data-mining-and-management#editorial-board).
If you have any questions related to charges or processes, please do not
hesitate to write to the editorial office at bigdata at frontiersin.org.