[Air-L] HIV in the age of PrEP+Internet and Lesbian Experiences of Gay Village

Jaime García Iglesias garciaiglesiasjaime at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 09:49:19 PDT 2019

Please come along to the 'Humanitas Brew' launch event at the Molly House
in the Gay Village in Manchester where two University of Manchester
researchers will be presenting on timely and thought-provoking topics. This
is a free event, register at: https://bit.ly/2Jmx8zT

“HIV in the age of internet and PrEP” by Jaime García-Iglesias
(@JGarciaIglesias)

How has the internet changed our relationship to HIV as gay men? How do we
negotiate HIV in dating apps? What is the impact of PrEP on gay men’s
relationship to the virus? In this talk, Jaime will address these issues to
explore how our changing world is modifying our relationship to the virus
that marked our history. Using data from his PhD research on sexual
fantasies and internet use, he will discuss people’s changing views of HIV
and their responses to it.

Jaime is a PhD candidate in Sociology at The University of Manchester,
where he is currently researching sexual fantasies, internet use and HIV
prevention using bugchasers as case study. He is one of the few scholars in
the world to have addressed this practice to develop more effective sexual
health approaches.

“Being a lesbian in the Village” by Jessica Mancuso (@AlmostDrJess)

In this talk Jess discusses experiences of lesbians in Manchester’s gay
village to explore how LGBTQ women negotiate the male-dominated gay scene
and the struggles of having only one lesbian bar in the village.

Jess is a Sociology PhD candidate at The University of Manchester and is
researching lesbian representation in current LGBTQ social spaces.

*Each talk will last between 20 and 30 minutes and will be followed by a
Q&A session.
--
*Jaime Garcia-Iglesias*
The University of Manchester