[Air-L] Larp about technology?

Casey Lynn Fiesler Casey.Fiesler at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 2 05:23:54 PDT 2019

What a neat idea!

As far as things that might touch on similar ideas as LARPing, I think you’d be interested in the work of my collaborator Mike Skirpan, who created an immersive theater experience about data ethics as part of his dissertation, and is currently revamping the production in Pittsburgh. http://mwskirpan.com/

A couple of published papers about it:

Skirpan, Michael Warren, Jacqueline Cameron, and Tom Yeh. "More Than a Show: Using Personalized Immersive Theater to Educate and Engage the Public in Technology Ethics." In Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, p. 464. ACM, 2018.

Skirpan, Michael, Jacqueline Cameron, and Tom Yeh. "Quantified Self: An Interdisciplinary Immersive Theater Project Supporting a Collaborative Learning Environment for CS Ethics." In Proceedings of the 49th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, pp. 946-951. ACM, 2018.

So I think that Mike is an even better connection than me, but insofar as I’m doing some work around science fiction and teaching ethics, I’m interested to hear more about this project! The folks behind this article also have a textbook coming out: https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2018/8/229765-how-to-teach-computer-ethics-through-science-fiction/fulltext

Casey

—
Casey Fiesler
Assistant Professor