[Air-L] Screenings- The Great Hack film on Cambridge Analytica

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 21:00:29 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,
After the successful premier of *The Great Hack* at Sundance this year, I’m
delighted to have been involved and credited as researcher on this film.
The years of hard work by dedicated filmmakers (see their bios below) not
to mention contributions from Prof David Carroll and Brittany Kaiser from
Cambridge Analytica, went into a truly great documentary and are some of
the screenings planned you can attend:

   - June 11: Press screening at Netflix HQ in LA
   - June 12: Sheffield Film Festival UK
   <https://www.showroomworkstation.org.uk/docfest2019-the-great-hack>
   - June 17: Press screening at Netflix HQ in LA
   - June 20: Newport Film Festival Opening Night, Newport RI
   <https://newportfilm.com/films/the-great-hack/>
   - June 21: Press screening in midtown NYC
   - June 23: AFI Docs, Washington, DC
   <https://docsguide.afi.com/2019/sections/the-great-hack>
   - July 8: Screening in San Francisco
   - July 10: Screening in Salt Lake City
   - July 16: Press screening in midtown NYC
   - July 16: Screening at the Aegean Film Festival in Patmos, Greece
   - July 16: Screening at the London Science Museum
   - July 17: Screening at UK Parliament
   - July 18: Rooftop Films, Brooklyn NY
   <https://www.rooftopfilms.com/event/the-great-hack/>
   - July 22: Screening in NY
   - July 24: Netflix Launch, with theatrical runs in NY (IFC Center) and
   LA (Laemmle Monica)
   - July 31: Martha's Vineyard Film Festival
   <http://tmvff.org/films-a-z-summer-2019>

We believe this film will create important conversations around data
rights, privacy, democracy, and advertising transparency.

Summary of the film:
Data has surpassed oil as the world’s most valuable asset. It’s being
weaponized to wage cultural and political warfare. People everywhere are in
a battle for control of our most intimate personal details. From
award-winning filmmakers Karim Amer and Jehane Noujaim, THE GREAT HACK
uncovers the dark world of data exploitation with astounding access to the
personal journeys of key players on different sides of the explosive
Cambridge Analytica/Facebook data scandal.

Academy-Award nominees Karim Amer and Jehane Noujaim (The Square, Control
Room, Startup.com) continue their tradition of exploring the seismic ripples of
media with this riveting, complex film. THE GREAT HACK forces us to
question the origin of the information we consume daily. What do we give up
when we tap that phone or keyboard and share ourselves in the digital age?

*T**HE GREAT HACK premiered at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival and will be
released on Netflix on July 24th, 2019. Directed by Amer and Noujaim, the
film is produced by Geralyn Dreyfous, Judy Korin and Pedro Kos.*

Here's a link to the mention in the New York Times summer movie preview
<https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn%3Aaaid%3Ascds%3AUS%3A39b6ce94-e99d-411a-883d-21ad9c328804>
.

--
Dr Emma L Briant
Independent Researcher/Author/Analyst

Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk
Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant