[Air-L] Improving academic success through service-learning

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Mon Jun 3 04:01:13 PDT 2019

Digital copies of our service-learning papers (below) available upon
request. It is some of the published output of an NSF-funded
service-learning project from 2002-2004 that was trying to get seniors on
the Internet to enhance their citizenship. This was a very challenging
project. We also tried and failed working with at-risk youth. We explored
and failed to figure out how we could help people with severe physical
disabilities. Some of you young folks entirely missed the hard part of
"getting online" for those who "ran wires into computer labs" or set up ad
hoc wireless networks with flip phones. Looking at the cycle from "Dean TV"
in 2004 through Putin's Facebook in 2016, one can only dwell on the many
unintended consequences of moving democracy online. The "break it first"
model, to be sure...

Mack Shelley, Lisa Thrane, Stuart Shulman, Evette Lang, Sally Beisser,
Teresa Larson, and James Mutiti, “Digital Citizenship: Parameters of the
Digital Divide,” Social Science Computer Review, 22, 2 (2004), 256-269.

Sally Beisser, Stuart Shulman and Teresa Larson, “Empowerment through
Service-Learning: Teaching Technology to Senior Citizens,” The Innovation
Journal Vol. 10, No. 1 (2005), 1-13.

Sally Beisser, Stuart Shulman, and Teresa Larson, “Closing the Digital
Divide with Service Learning,” Academic Exchange Quarterly Vol. 9, No. 1
(Spring 2005), 31-35.

Mack C. Shelley, Lisa Thrane, and Stuart W. Shulman, “Lost in Cyberspace:
Barriers to Bridging the Digital Divide in e-Politics,” International
Journal of Internet and Enterprise Management Vol. 4, No. 3 (2006), 228-243.

Mack C. Shelley, Lisa E. Thrane, and Stuart W. Shulman, “Generational
Differences in Informational Technology Use and Political Involvement,”
International Journal of Electronic Government Research Vol. 2, No. 1
(2006), 36-53.

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 10:57 PM Samantha Close <but.no.cigar at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've done community-based service learning in two digital-related courses
> now, if anyone has questions!
>
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 5:17 AM Dr. Patrick Blessinger <
> patrickblessinger at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > New article in UWN. Please share if you like:
> >
> > Improving academic success through service-learning
> > <https://www.universityworldnews.com/post.php?story=20190526153905418>
> > <https://www.universityworldnews.com/post.php?story=20190526153905418>.
> >
> > https://www.universityworldnews.com/post.php?story=20190526153905418
> >
> > --
> > Patrick Blessinger, Ed.D. <http://www.patrickblessinger.com/>
> > University World News
> > <
> >
> http://www.universityworldnews.com/search.php?query=blessinger&type=all&mode=search
> > >
> > UNESCO Inclusive Policy Lab
> > <http://en.unesco.org/inclusivepolicylab/users/patrick-blessinger>
> > St. John's University, New York City
> > <https://www.stjohns.edu/academics/faculty/patrick-blessinger-edd>
> > Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education
> > <
> >
> http://www.emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=jarhe
> > >
> > Innovations in Higher Education Teaching and Learning
> > <
> >
> https://books.emeraldinsight.com/page/series-detail/Innovations-in-Higher-Education-Teaching-and-Learning/

> > http://www.aoir.org/

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman