[Air-L] instagramming space and place

Hammelburg, Esther e.e.hammelburg at hva.nl
Fri Mar 1 02:11:32 PST 2019

Dear Martha (and others that might be interested in the topic),

I am writing my dissertation on liveness in the mediatized experience of events and devoting a chapter to space and place and one to visual presencing. On the first topic I have written a chapter for a forthcoming edited volume Locating Imagination: Popular Culture, Tourism and Belonging. It is not out yet, but I can of course share my thoughts and perhaps drafts (I am awaiting the first review) with those interested.

In the past two years I have intensively studied three events as case studies using online and offline observations, interviews and scraped data sets. I would love to discuss methods with you!

Those interested can follow my project on ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Liveness-coming-to-life-the-mediatized-experience-of-cultural-events and on http://www.hva.nl/liveness

Best regards,
Esther Hammelburg MA

Lecturer and PhD Candidate
www.hva.nl/liveness <http://www.hva.nl/liveness>

Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
Faculty of Digital Media and Creative Industries

 Rhijnspoorplein 1, 1091 GC Amsterdam
M +31 (0)6 2115 7019
@eehammelburg

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to!

Op 22-02-19 07:27 heeft Air-L namens martha coe <air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org namens mlc443 at nyu.edu> geschreven:

    Hi all,
    This looks like a wonderfully active, international community and I am new
    here, so I am also jumping on the bandwagon with an introduction and
    request for resources.

    For my doctoral research, I am looking at the varied ways that
    urban-focused instagrammer (sub)cultures narrate, inhabit and experience
    space and place through their photographic practices/social media
    activities (the research is qualitative, using in-depth interviews and
    ethnography). I am also looking at ways that the concept "instagrammable"
    has created new avenues and imperatives for city- and community-level
    placemaking initiatives.

    I would like to know of any recent articles/research dealing with similar
    themes; I am especially keen to find out how others have approached
    Instagram users' (or other platforms) practices qualitatively. I want to
    make sure I'm not overlooking valuable scholarship that maybe hasn't come
    across my radar yet, and also to get to know other scholars working in
    similar methodological/thematic areas.

    Any and all recommendations welcome!

    Thanks,
    Martha