[Air-L] CfP Critical Data Science workshop at ICWSM 2019 in Munich

Katja Mayer katja.mayer at univie.ac.at
Tue Mar 5 01:33:29 PST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

in addition to the cfp still open for the special issue of "Critical
Data and Algorithm Studies" (see below!), we would like to extend the
invitation to join us at the "Critical Data Science" workshop at ICWSM
2019 in Munich.

With best regards

Katja Mayer

CALL FOR PAPERS
*Workshop on Critical Data Science*
at the 13th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media
(ICWSM-2019),
Munich, Germany, June 11, 2019

https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/critical-data-science

*Submissions deadline: March 25, 2019*
*Acceptance notification: April 12, 2019*

We invite submissions to the Workshop on Critical Data Science, taking
place on June 11, 2019 at the 13th International AAAI Conference on Web
and Social Media (ICWSM-2019) in Munich, Germany.

-------------
The social world is far messier than technical training prepares one
for. Among data scientists trained in fields like computer science and
statistics are those experiencing a sense of vertigo: we start to
realize both the ways in which modeling breaks down on human beings,
requiring different notions of rigor, and the potentially negative
social impacts of modeling, requiring responsible engagement and activity.

We define “critical data science” as our vision of the practice of
working with and modeling data (the “data science”), combined with
identifying and questioning the core assumptions commonly underlying
that practice (the “critical”). The workshop seeks to combine cultures
of critique with those of practice, bringing together data scientists
and scholars from computer science and the social sciences around
responsibly carrying out data science on social phenomena, and creating
sustainable frameworks for interdisciplinary collaboration.

The workshop will involve short reflective presentations by
participants, combined with a creative group-based activity to further
support reflection of their own and neighboring scientific practices and
to create opportunities for further cooperation. The workshop will
conclude with a wrap-up for collecting resources and discussing future
outcomes, and producing a draft compilation of best practices and a list
of priorities for further engagement.

Submissions may either be non-archival 2-page statements of interest or
motivation, or archival papers up to 4,000 words. Accepted archival
papers will be published in Workshop Proceedings of the 13th
International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media
<https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/9706>, a special issue of
the journal Frontiers in Big Data. Open Access publishing costs will be
waived for authors without institutional support for covering these fees.

Topics include:

  * What should be standards and practices both of methodological rigor,
    and of respect for subjects, when carrying out computational
    research on social systems?
  * What role can discussions of methods and instruments play in larger
    critiques of the limitations of data science?
  * What are points of fundamental disagreement or diverging
    orientations/priorities between disciplines?
  * What can we learn from the long tradition of critical scrutiny in
    statistics?
  * What combinations of experiences and/or readings has led data
    scientists to recognize, and perhaps even adopt, ‘non-technical’
    ways of framing the world? How do and can these ways of knowing
    interact with a modeling approach?
  * What philosophical commitments or normative orientations, if adopted
    by data scientists, would produce a principled data science? How can
    those be realized in interdisciplinary teams?
  * What might it look like to use modeling critically and reflexively,
    or to contextualize what we can or cannot know from modeling from
    within the modeling process?
  * What can we learn from works looking at the social impact of
    implemented model-based systems?
  * What sorts of practices, coalitions, and collaborations can include
    marginalized voices into data science rather than exclude them?
  * Beyond a space for critical reflection, what can be the positive
    project of a critical data science?
  * How can we design collaborations in critical data science?

See https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/critical-data-science for more
information and submission instructions.

Contact: <criticaldatasci2019 at gmail.com
<mailto:criticaldatasci2019 at gmail.com>>.

ORGANIZERS
*Momin M. Malik* <momin_malik at cyber.harvard.edu
<mailto:momin_malik at cyber.harvard.edu>>, Berkman Klein Center for
Internet & Society at Harvard University
*Katja Mayer* <katja.mayer at univie.ac.at
<mailto:katja.mayer at univie.ac.at>>, Department of Science and Technology
Studies, University of Vienna, and ZSI Centre for Social Innovation Vienna
*Hemank Lamba* <hlamba at cs.cmu.edu <mailto:hlamba at cs.cmu.edu>>, School of
Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University
*Claudia Müller-Birn* <clmb at inf.fu-berlin.de
<mailto:clmb at inf.fu-berlin.de>>, Institute of Computer Science, Freie
Universität Berlin