[Air-L] Webinar NGI Data Methods

Felix Szabo felix.szabo at nesta.org.uk
Tue Mar 19 09:29:44 PDT 2019

Hi all,

We would like to invite you to join our webinar to explore the exciting
data science methods and visualisations we developed as part of the Next
Generation Internet Initiative, and learn more about how you can use these
kinds of data-driven insights in your own work.

*Our work *

Over the past year, we’ve been laying the groundwork for building the
research and funding agenda of the Next Generation Internet initiative, the
European Commission’s new flagship programme which seeks to build a more
inclusive, resilient and democratic future internet by the end of the next
decade. As part of this work, we used cutting-edge data-driven methods to
map the latest trends in emerging technologies and social issues
surrounding the internet. This webinar will showcase the most interesting
insights we generated, and guide you through using the methodologies
developed DELab (Digital Economy Lab of the University of Warsaw) and
Eurecat (Technology Centre of Catalonia), two partners in the EU Engineroom
consortium.

When it comes to making decisions about which new technologies or solutions
to invest in, where to focus our attention when it comes to future social
challenges or other important decisions that require making our own guesses
about what the future might hold, we often rely on anecdotal evidence or
outdated data, such as company surveys or patent data (often a couple years
behind the real trends). New big data methodologies have made it possible

use web data sources like Wikipedia, Reddit, Meetup or articles in the tech
media, which have proven much better at picking up early signals of change.
In this webinar, we will tell you more about how our data science team
used, for example, natural language processing, network analysis and
machine learning to gather insights about how hacker communities talk about
quantum computing, where we find most startups active in the ethical AI
 space, or how the media has covered GDPR.

*Our data*

All the methodologies we’ve developed and the underlying data, code and
insights are freely available to the public, have a look at our GitHub
<https://github.com/NGI4EU>and Zenodo
<https://zenodo.org/communities/ngi4eu?page=1&size=20>to learn more. Please
also have a look at our interactive results page <https://ngi.delabapps.eu/>,
which will feature in the webinar.

Want to know more? Do join <https://ngidatamappingwebinar.splashthat.com/>
us, learn about our methods and ask any questions you might have.

*The Webinar *

After a brief introduction about the project, we will have short
presentations on different methods. David Laniado (Eurecat), Laura Portell
(Eurecat), and Cristian Consonni (University of Trento) will talk about
using Wikipedia data to study for example the relationships between
different internet-related topics and trends over time.

Kristóf Gyódi and Michał Paliński will explain their quantitative text
mining analysis, based on a novel dataset of 140.000 technology news
articles. The methodology implements various natural language processing
techniques: analysis of term frequencies, co-occurrences, sentiment
analysis and topic modeling.

Participating in this webinar does not assume any prior technical
knowledge.

When and where

Our webinar will take place on  March 27, from 14:00 – 15:00 CET.

You will be able to join it using Zoom at https://nesta.zoom.us/j/123531306
or by calling the right number for where you are
<https://zoom.us/zoomconference> and using Meeting ID: 123 531 306. Please
contact us for local dial in numbers for where you are.

Time

Webinar outline

Lead by

14:00 (5 mins)

Introduction

Katja Bego (Nesta)

14:15 (15 mins)

Quantitative Text Mining using NLP

Kristóf Gyódi, Michał Paliński (DeLab)

14:30 (15 mins)

Wikipedia Network Analysis: Temporal Trends Analysis on Reddit discussions

David Laniado (Eurecat), Laura Portell (Eurecat), and Cristian Consonni
(University of Trento)

14:40 (25 mins)

Q&As

All

15:00

Finish

All

Hosts

DELab is a transdisciplinary research institute established in 2014. DELab
examines the social, economic and cultural meanings of digitalisation and
serves as a platform for cooperation and the exchange of ideas between
academia, business and public institutions. Website:
http://www.delab.uw.edu.pl/en/

EURECAT is the leading Technology Centre in Catalonia, and the second
largest private research organization in Southern Europe. Eurecat manages a
turnover of 38M€, counts with +500 professional and has a customer
portfolio of over 1.000 companies. Eurecat is involved in more than 160 R&D
projects. Website: https://eurecat.org/en/

Nesta is an independent charity with a mission to help people and
organisations bring great ideas to life. By providing investments and
grants, running practical programmes, carrying out research, mobilising
networks and building skills, Nesta supports innovation to help address
society’s most pressing social and economic challenges. Nesta is one of the
world’s leading experts in social innovation and innovation in public
services, with a substantial body of research and policy work.

Thank you very much
Felix

--
Felix Szabó | Researcher, Internet and Emerging Technologies | Next
Generation Internet

--

				58 Victoria Embankment
				London

				www.nesta.org.uk
<http://www.nesta.org.uk/> |					Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/nesta_uk>
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1868227&goback=%2Egdr_1274367066783_1>
|				 				Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/NESTA/116788428355432?v=wall&ref=sgm>

If
you no longer want to receive emails from Nesta, send an email to
info at nesta.org.uk <mailto:info at nesta.org.uk>. This email and any
attachments are confidential and may be 				subject to legal privilege. Any
use, copying or disclosure other 				than by the intended recipient is
unauthorised. If you have 				received this message in error, please notify
the sender 				immediately via				 				+44 (0)20 7438 2500 or by email to
	 				info at nesta.org.uk <mailto:information at nesta.org.uk> and delete this
message and any 				copies from your computer and network. The views
expressed in 				this email are those of the author and do not necessarily
			reflect the views of Nesta. Nesta is a company limited by 				guarantee
and registered in England and Wales with company 				number 7706036 and
charity number 1144091. Registered as a 				charity in Scotland number
SC042833. Registered office: 58 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y 0DS.