[Air-L] New Book: Affinity Online: How Connection and Shared Interest Fuel Learning

Mimi Ito mito at itofisher.com
Thu Mar 21 16:25:11 PDT 2019

Hello everyone,

I am coming out of listserv hiding with a shameless plug for our new book

Open access version is here!
http://connectedyouth.nyupress.org/book/9781479852758/

Mimi Ito
Professor | UC Irvine @mizuko
Director | Connected Learning Lab
CEO | @connectedcamps
http://www.itofisher.com/mito

---------

We are pleased to announce the release of a new book that explores how young people have found new opportunities for expanded learning in the digital age - Affinity Online: How Connection and Shared Interest Fuel Learning by Mizuko Ito, Crystle Martin, Rachel Cody Pfister, Matthew H. Rafalow, Katie Salen, and Amanda Wortman.

Book Page: https://connectedlearning.news/AffinityOnlineE

Affinity Online is a multi-year, multi-investigator effort, grounded in ethnographic case studies of youth online engagement. It offers a textured and in-depth look into a delightful diversity of youth online affinity networks—Harry Potter fans who knit together, professional wrestling and One Direction fanfiction writers, Starcraft II esports aficionados, Nerdfighter activists, anime video remixers, Little Big Planet level makers, and Bollywood dancers.

From the book:
“Investigating youth online affinity networks enables us to understand how online networks are changing how young people shape their social relationships, identities, and learning in ways that inform educational practice.”

“Our research underscores a central insight of connected learning and sociocultural learning theory: Transformative and resilient forms of learning are embedded in a web of social relations, meaningful projects, and shared activities with which a learner feels a sense of affinity.”

“We hope that the stories we have shared and books such as these will help parents and educators understand, appreciate, and connect with their children around new media interests.”

Learn more about Affinity Online:
https://connectedlearning.news/AffinityOnlineE

Affinity Online is available for purchase on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Affinity-Online-Connection-Interest-Connected/dp/1479852759/) and the NYU Press website (https://nyupress.org/books/9781479852758/), and open access at: http://connectedyouth.nyupress.org/book/9781479852758/