[Air-L] Seeking Dialogue submissions for Surveillance & Society: Decolonizing Surveillance Studies

Bryce Newell bcnewell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 10:30:16 PDT 2019

 Dear Colleagues,

As the new Dialogue Editor of *Surveillance & Society*
<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society> (the
journal of the Surveillance Studies Network), I invite expressions of
interest to write short (~2000-3000 word) papers for an upcoming Dialogue
(formerly "Debate") section of the journal on the topic of "Decolonizing
Surveillance Studies."

In part, this idea was sparked by recent work, including *Dark Matters *by
Simone Brown, Payal Arora's work on "Decolonizing Privacy Studies," and
Virginia Eubanks' work on automating inequality. I am particularly
interested in proposals for contributions that speak to 1) the broader
theme and agenda-setting issues of decolonizing surveillance studies as a
field of study (e.g., links between colonialization/colonial perspectives
and surveillance research or practices); 2) how existing surveillance-related
power imbalances have led to situations where "governments, technology
companies, and elite multilateral organizations (. . .) often use[] the
Global South public [or other marginalized groups] . . . as testbeds for
innovations in technological surveillance" (Arora, 2018); and 3) normative
proposals for decolonizing surveillance research and practices.

If you are interested in proposing a short paper for inclusion in this
discussion, which will include a mix of solicited and proposed papers,
please send the following to me on or before the end of day on *April 8,
2019*:

   - Your *name *and details of your institutional *affiliation *(if
   applicable)
   - A title and short, *250-400 word, abstract* for your proposed
   contribution (proposals should connect to the themes identified above and
   also have a strong normative element)

Please note that Dialogue pieces are not refereed, but are subject to
editorial review and possible requests for revision.

I look forward to reading your proposals.

Sincerely,
Bryce

*Bryce Clayton Newell, JD, PhD*
Assistant Professor
School of Information Science, College of Communication and Information
Department of Sociology (by courtesy), College of Arts & Sciences
University of Kentucky

Dialogue Editor, *Surveillance & Society
<https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society>*
Research Associate, *Tilburg Institute for Law, Technology, and Society *
(TILT)
www.bcnewell.com | Google Scholar
<https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=7kICf7kAAAAJ>
<http://ssrn.com/author=1576462> | @newmedialaw
<http://twitter.com/newmedialaw>
Watch: The Tinaja Trail
<https://humanitarianfilm.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/watch-the-tinaja-trail-online-now/>
(a documentary about humanitarian response to migrant deaths along the
US-Mexico border)