[Air-L] Open access journals

Zach McDowell zmcdowell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 09:29:24 PST 2019

Hi All,

I'll echo that DOAJ is the gold standard. http://doaj.org

The thing about DOAJ is that they are incredibly strict. To get listed
there you must pass a variety of tests that guarantee that you are
upholding the ethics of Open Access Journals. They had a big purge a
few years ago and its become quite difficult to get listed there unless you
have all your ducks in a row. Its just a directory though, and honestly its
updated by the journals themselves so sometimes its a little out of date
(stares in mirror at self, remembering to update DOAJ). So if you are
looking for an argument for why an open access journal "counts" - I'd start
with DOAJ.

Another good list is Open Humanities Press https://openhumanitiespress.org/

Their board is exceptional and they have both journals and open access book
projects. Really great project.

That being said, the journal I co-founded and co-edit, *communication +1 *is
part of both DOAJ and OHP. We often publish volumes that would be of
interest to AoIR folx. http://communicationplusone.org

best,

Zach

Zachary J. McDowell, PhD