[Air-L] disability and technology

Gerard Goggin gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au
Thu Mar 21 15:13:53 PDT 2019

Hi Harel, and all,

Very exciting to hear about your work - so best wishes with it - and thanks to everyone for great suggestions.

The angle it sounds like you are working on - e.g. 'what theories might explain motivation to invest in making my websites/apps etc accessible for people with disabilities?' - has been a longstanding area of inquiry/interest, but fairly tricky/contested (and also often the framing was a big limitation).

So I think what has happened over some years is that researchers, practitioners, and activists have sought to frame the question much more widely and deeply - hence the great work that has emerged, especially in last couple of years, on disability and technology.

So this has advantage of giving overdue attention to the profound ways that disability and technology interact - which then really revolutionizes how one might approach questions of how/why accessibility is framed and happens.

Here you might find useful a recent special issue of Information, Community and Society I co-edited on 'Disability Participation in the Digital Economy': https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rics20/22/4?nav=tocList

Cheers,

Gerard