[Air-L] History of Computers

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Tue Mar 26 01:10:08 PDT 2019

Hi all,

this has been a really interesting thread to watch unfold (as usual):
I've very much appreciated the various suggestions to the original query
and now have a much richer reading list than before.

Perhaps more of an aside - and certainly beyond the remit of the
original query, but if I were teaching such a course, I think I'd also
want to include (which would also likely bump it up a bit in the
academic curriculum?):

0) the proviso that my first hands-on computer was an analogue computer
(sometime in the early 1960s) and as someone deeply immersed in
mathematics and astronomy - and so my original senses of computers and
computation is prior to and somewhat independent of the now predominant
"digital" branch (there's still the analogue in there, but let's save
that little story for another rainy day).

1) a look at the Sky-disk of Nebra - no moving parts, but at least as
some astronomers have interpreted it, a "device" for coordinating the
agricultural planting / harvesting seasons by way of keeping track of
the lunar vs. solar cycles and marking the summer and winter solstices;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebra_sky_disk

2) some information about the discovery and various contemporary (lego /
3d printed) recreations of the antikythera mechanism (ca. 2100 years
old), a quite sophisticated analogue computer in the earlier senses;
(lots of good material online, including some fascinating videos on how
contemporary mathematicians and engineers have made replicas)

3) Something about the dreams of calculation from mathematician /
philosophers such as Leibniz and Kepler - in order to
culturally-historically locate much of the motivation for the
development of such devices as grounded in the Pythagorean dream /
"religion" of understanding numbers and numerical relations as the truth
of the universe - a truth with urgently salvific significance as this
knowledge would then allow us to properly attune our lives to "the
harmony of the spheres" and thereby attain some sort of "mind-meld"
therewith ("God," in a non-theistic sense, for Aristotle and perhaps Plato);
[another aside: while Kepler completed the musical notation for the
harmony of spheres based on his new-found mathematical model of the
solar system as based on elliptical rather than circular orbits - it was
only in the 1970s with the advent of electronic computers and
synthesizers that the music could be "played".  I'm astonished that this
realization of the 2600-year-old Pythagorean dream is not much more well
known?]

4) the contributions of Douglas Engelbart, famous for screen-based
interfaces and "the mouse" - again, for the sake of locating at least
some portion of more contemporary motives in highly humanistic (if not
forthrightly "classical," as in "3" above) approaches to computation as
human augmentation and the broader "liberation technology" sensibilities
of the 1960s-1980s (Stuart Brand et al.) -
but more originally rooted in the Romantic-Enlightenment coalescensces
documented by Mark Coeckelbergh in his _New Romantic Cyborgs_ (MIT, 2017).

Not for the sake of Adriana de Souza e Silva's fortunate undergraduates
but perhaps for the sake of a more expansive approach to the history of
computing - what am I missing still?

again, many thanks and all best,
- charles ess