[Air-L] Casey Fiesler on Research Ethics

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Tue Mar 26 01:40:50 PDT 2019

Yes.

And thanks very much for this.
It's hard to tell - but a good portion of this reads more or less
straight out of the AoIR ethics guidelines, including the draft for
Internet Research Ethics 3.0 distributed last fall in conjunction with
the annual conference.

Including the emphases on moving away from "rule-book" / tick-box
approaches to what we call (along with many others) dialogical /
process-oriented ethics grounded in the fine-grained specifics of a
given case.

The invocation of care (thereby, I suppose, more specifically (feminist)
care ethics) is also intriguing.  This is in part because over the past
few years (since 2014 or so), I've been seeing more such invocations
from network engineers (yes, this means you, AoIRist Bendert
Zevenbergen) and computer scientists, including the ethical backgrounds
to the emerging standards for "ethically-aligned design" by the IEEE.

Let me hastily clarify: I'm _not_ at all saying there was some sort of
plagiarism. Though it would be very interesting and helpful to know what
her sources are, e.g., the newest ACM guidelines, the IEEE project, or
perhaps even the AoIR guidelines, just so that we can incorporate the
article in our resource list and have a better sense of where it might
best be indexed, etc.
However that may be: I _am_ saying there's a wonderful consonance /
resonance, which I take to be a Very Good Thing.

Indeed, in light of the past four decades or so of efforts towards
better dialogue and cooperation between the more philosophical / applied
ethics folk and the multiple professional communities directly engaged
with the engineering, design, and implementation of these technologies -
these sorts of endorsements within the latter communities of such
nuanced and demanding ethical approaches is a remarkable and, in my
view, most propitious development.

Thanks for sharing!
- charles ess

--