[Air-L] History of Computers

Thomas Ball xtc283 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 05:24:20 PDT 2019

Hi-
   Not having followed this thread thoroughly, the following suggestions
may be redundant with what has already been shared. Thank you to Charles
Ess for providing a succinct summary of the posts. It was reassuring wrt
the depth of the responses that, e.g., Derek J. de Sola Price's discovery
of the 2,000+ year old Antikythera computer as well as the abacus were both
in the mix.

   On the off chance that these notes are fresh news, here are a few
additional comments:

- As much as anything, the history of computers is bound up with the
history of mathematics and, in particular, the history of mathematical
notation. Marcus du Sautoy's BBC documentary four-part series, *The Story
of Maths*, provides an accessible, excellent overview of this history. For
instance, among his first observations is that the Egyptians figured out
binary numbers thousands of years before Leibniz. Then there's the history
and origins of the number zero. But there's much more to his doc:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJbChZrXDJE

- Somewhat more academic in its history of mathematical notation but
interesting nonetheless is Robin Wilson's book,* Euler’s Pioneering
Equation: 'The Most Beautiful Theorem in Mathematics'. *Wilson tells the
backstory of each of the five constants in Euler's equation and, in so
doing, develops a thorough history of mathematical notation. He summarizes
his book in this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VL2fl1_wB8

- Another interesting factoid is that, as its been argued, the history of
network theory began in 1736 with Leonhard Euler's *Seven Bridges of
Konigsberg* problem which laid the foundations for graph theory and
topology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Bridges_of_K%C3%B6nigsberg

- Here's a video on the history of the Internet from someone who was there
from the beginning:
https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/2019-02-05/history-internet

- Werner Herzog's idiosyncratic 2016 documentary film, *Lo and Behold:
Reveries of the Connected World*, is a film artist's existential take on
the history of the Internet. While all too easily dismissed, it has unique
footage of the Stanford lab where the first peer-to-peer connection was
made between computers way back in the dark ages of the 60s and 70s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo_and_Behold,_Reveries_of_the_Connected_World

Hope this helps,
Thomas Ball