[Air-L] Searching Instagram/Twitter by keyword and narrowing to specific focus

Aysenur Ataman aataman at gradcenter.cuny.edu
Thu Mar 28 02:46:05 PDT 2019

Dear Natalie,

I do not know any tool that would allow you to combine the two parameters (hashtag and geographical location) when searching for posts on Instagram. I collected data pre Dec 1st 2018 API change via Netlytic and am not sure Netlytic' access is still valid but I do recommend checking that out.

Steps I recommend your friend takes:

1) It is very crucial to think carefully about what hashtag will be useful for your research. Better it is not a BIG hashtag.

2) Collect metadata using the hashtag(s) and dates as parameters.

3) Use longitude-latitude to detect locations yourself. Will be much more reliable that way.

I played with scraping the number of followers after these steps and see if I can come up with a formula to make sense of number of likes and comments under each post but then I decided with the bots and fake accounts no finding will be reliable. So I gave up… If anyone has thoughts and solutions for that I would be glad to hear.

Best,
Ayşenur

Ayşenur Benevento
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Abdullah Gül University